[Linganth] last-minute AAA roundtable -- Professional Divides 2018: News Reporting, Incarceration, and Social Inequity

Colleen Cotter c.m.cotter at qmul.ac.uk
Sun Apr 15 09:04:27 UTC 2018

Thanks for your responses thus far re this roundtable (E. Moore Quinn's "state and containment" angle in Ireland is extremely relevant -- thanks, Moore). Which makes me suggest thinking past the words "incarceration" and "journalism" and more about narrative, (fractal) recursivity, memory, emotion, repatriation, justice, power, etc.

The journalist/advocate participants in the roundtable will provide the ethnographic context from their lived perspectives (San Quentin and beyond); we can provide ways of thinking and critiquing from our perspectives -- about individual, other, community, remedy, etc. A conversation will ensue.

NB: You DON'T have to write an abstract for a roundtable! Just tell me you are interested or have something to say and I'll take it from there.

Here is an LA Times article I use to teach about genre, reframing, identity, context, and markedness (and the role of culture and folkloric expression in obits more generally). Bill Drummond will be on the roundtable.

Best,

Colleen

http://graphics.latimes.com/prison-obits/

[https://www.bing.com/th?id=OVP.luxFih9ZGuB3qbvsC-qDAwHgE_&pid=Api]<http://graphics.latimes.com/prison-obits/>

Inmates writing their own obits reveal regrets, failed dreams<http://graphics.latimes.com/prison-obits/>
graphics.latimes.com
Inmates at San Quentin were asked to write an obituary about their own death. The resulting obituaries were reflective and candid. Above all, they revealed the ways ...