[Linganth] please help me locate recent Phds

Ilana Gershon imgershon at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 16:56:43 UTC 2018

Dear Colleagues,
I am writing in the hopes that you can forward the message below to any
recent anthropology
Phds whose topics address contemporary concerns in the study of
communication, media or
performance.   Currently I find recent Phds by looking through
dissertations listed in the Proquest
database (unfortunately a US centric method).     My major problem is
locating people's email
addresses even after I learn about their dissertations.   I have
tremendous trouble figuring out
how to contact people to request that they take the page 99 test for the
CaMP anthropology blog.

Please please help me by 1) forwarding this message to your recent Phds
2) if you are a recent Phd,
consider letting our fields learn about your work in this lighthearted
way and 3) if you are in charge
of a departmental website, consider helping your recent Phds by listing
their current contact info.  (The
AAA membership directory is of little use).

The invitation:

I would like to invite recent Phds to participate on the CaMP
Anthropology blog

( https://campanthropology.wordpress.com ).At the blog, we would like to let
  scholars at the intersection of linguistic anthropology, performance
and media.
We are asking those who have defended in the past five years to take a
version of the page 99 test.

The "test" is simple: Is Ford Madox Ford's statement "Open the book to page
  ninety-nine and read, and the quality of the whole will be revealed to
you," accurate
  for the dissertation? To answer, the author will have to say
  something (1) about the
page and (2) about the dissertation.

The fact is, p 99 may well *not*be representative of the dissertation,
but the
  answer gives you an opportunity to say something about what your
dissertation
really is about and how that page fits in or ... whatever you like.

  If you are interested, please allow yourself no more than 400 words
(and 300 would
  probably be better); that limit does not include however much of pg 99
you'd like to
  quote--you may quote most of it, or little or none of it.We would love
to have your
  blog post in hand by August 1^st , if possible.

Thank you,
Ilana