[Linganth] Language, Power and Medicine: NAU Fri 9/21 and Sat 9/22

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 04:06:26 UTC 2018

*Symposium on Language, Power, and Medicine*

In Honor of James M. Wilce

Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Arizona

Sept. 21 (9am-5pm) & Sept. 22 (9am-1pm), 2018

We invite you to join a Symposium on Language, Power, and Medicine at NAU
to celebrate Jim Wilce’s contributions to bringing the subfields of
linguistic anthropology, psychological anthropology, and medical
anthropology into conversation.  The symposium is free of charge and all
are welcome.

*Plenary Talks:*

*Paul Kroskrity*

The Healing Power of Indigenous Languages:Lingual Life Histories and the
(Re-Production of Language Ideological Assemblages

*Susan Philips*

Not a Total Institution: Life In and Out of Retirement Communities

*Sabina Perrino*

Intimacies in Interaction

*Bob Desjarlais*

A Non-Place of Death: Body, Image, Archive, and State Violence in Paris,
France

*Charles Briggs*

Phytocommunicable Perspectives: Plants, Health and Power in the Venezualan
Rainforest

*Jim Wilce*

Language, Power, and Medicine

Please RSVP to jimwilceevent at gmail.com if you would like to attend this
event.

Please write to Leila Monaghan at Leila.Monaghan at nau.edu if you would like
to share your experiences with Jim and/or Jim’s work in person or by e-mail
or would like to attend and make a brief response to one of our plenary
speakers.  Please reply asap as respondent slots are limited.

We are also planning a trip to the Grand Canyon afterward, some charges may
apply. Please let Leila know at Leila.Monaghan at nau.edu if you are
interested.

Looking forward to seeing you at beautiful Northern Arizona University!

Leila Monaghan

Clinton Humphrey

Cre Engelke

Anna Corwin