[Linganth] qualitative coding software

Alexander King aking at koryaks.net
Wed Dec 12 18:38:06 UTC 2018

ELAN is not easy to use or learn, but colleagues tell me that does not distinguish it from Atlas TI. ELAN is free (https://tla.mpi.nl/tools/tla-tools/elan/ <https://tla.mpi.nl/tools/tla-tools/elan/>) and generates xml files that are open source. It points to the media files, so they can be stored separately from transcription/annotation files. It has a transcription mode that works ok for me. The annotation tool is nice in that it can go on forever and you can re-arrange things depending on your needs at the moment. It has powerful search functions that I don’t fully know how to use. There is a pretty comprehensive instruction manual and if you know any linguist working on an endangered language, they probably have experience with it, too. ELAN can also be used to output DVD/video subtitles, although I haven’t done that yet. ELAN works on Mac/PC/Linux.

ELAN is designed for close transcription and annotation of audio and video files, so if you are doing that, I would recommend it. I found “Simple ELAN” pretty much useless, so don’t bother with that.

-Alex