[Linganth] Seeking participants in a panel “The Social Justice Turn in Linguistic Anthropology”, NEAA Meetings March 1-2

Harasta, Jesse O. joharasta at cazenovia.edu
Thu Dec 20 20:15:19 UTC 2018

Colleagues,

I would like to welcome submissions for a panel entitled "The Social Justice Turn in Linguistic Anthropology”, for the upcoming meetings of the Northeastern Anthropological Association (NEAA), March 1-2 in Rhode Island College, Providence Rhode Island (http://www.neaa.org/).

Here is draft abstract for the panel:

In recent years, scholars in Linguistic Anthropology have increasingly turned their attention to long-standing questions of power, practice and justice in language use. This interest has taken on many issues: the politics of migration and translation; the use of language in institutions such as courts, medicine, and education; the intersection of language ideology with populism and white supremacy; the survival and revival of indigenous and lesser-used languages; the role of language in movements for sexual and gender liberation; and exclusionary rhetoric and practice around standardized language practices, to name a few. This panel will draw together scholars engaged in various of these threads in order to encourage a broader discussion and collaboration on issues of social justice in anthropological linguistics.

If you are interested in participation, please email me at joharasta at cazenovia.edu<mailto:joharasta at cazenovia.edu>, and let me know what topic, and a tentative paper title, you might be interested in presenting on. I will then set a deadline for abstracts and forward information to interested parties and move forward in constructing the panel.

Thank you for your interest and please email me with any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Jesse Harasta, PhD

Assistant Professor of Social Science

Cazenovia College

Cazenovia, NY

[Cazenovia College logo]<http://www.cazenovia.edu/?utm_source=campus_email&utm_medium=image&utm_campaign=college_logo>
[US News and World Report Badges for Best Value - Regional College and Best College - North]<http://www.cazenovia.edu/news-and-events/news/cazenovia-college-earns-14th-consecutive-us-news-world-report-recognition?utm_source=campus_email&utm_medium=image&utm_campaign=USNews_bestvalue_2017>