[Linganth] Languages in Canada

Karen Pennesi pennesi at uwo.ca
Wed Jun 27 18:32:55 UTC 2018

Dear colleagues,

I am developing a new second-year course called Languages in Canada for this fall. The course will have students from linguistics, anthropology and First Nations studies.  The official description is this:

"We examine languages and dialects that are associated with particular regions, cultures, and/or ethnic groups in Canada, including First Nations languages, French, English and immigrant languages. We consider language structures, variation and ways that languages relate to the identity of groups which speak them."

I am looking for relevant readings, books or videos that people recommend. I also want to bring in some current events and some critical political perspectives in addition to the more sociolinguistic/descriptive type material. I'm also open to suggestions for themes or assignments.

So far I've got "Language in Canada" edited by John Edwards (1998) but I'd like something more updated. I'm also aware of Charles Boberg's work and Sali Tagliamonte's. I've also got Newmark, Walker and Stanford on Native American English prosody.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Karen

Dr. Karen Pennesi
Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology
Co-Director, Undergraduate Program in Linguistics, Social Science
University of Western Ontario

pennesi at uwo.ca<mailto:pennesi at uwo.ca>
Names and Identity in Canada<https://namesandidentity.wixsite.com/canada/the-study>