[Linganth] Query about the racist history of everyday words in American English

Susanne Unger susanne.unger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 21:49:05 UTC 2018

 Dear ling anthers,

I am forwarding a query from David Vine, a cultural anthropologist at
American University in DC who is looking for information on the racist
history of different words in American English. I am pasting his request
below.

Thank you in advance, Susanne

***
"I've got a friend who works for 1A, the new NPR show with Joshua Johnson.
Anyone have any good suggestions for linguistic anthropologists, linguists,
and others who have deconstructed language? My friend describes what
they're interested in below: "... a discussion about words that people use
everyday that some academics/people argue have a troubling
racist/misogynist history/origin/connotation - like the words picnic and
nitty-gritty. There are obvious ones that most people know about - like
hysterical. But words like picnic, not so much. Also, there is dispute over
if some of these words do actually have a racist history or if it’s urban
legend. Picnic is a good example. Snopes says it’s an urban myth, but SUNY
Albany reportedly banned the use of the word in promoting an event."

Please e-mail your responses to David Vine, vine at american.edu