[Linganth] Articles on Male Anger

Alexander King aking at koryaks.net
Mon Oct 1 18:12:49 UTC 2018

I think that Don Kulick’s article “No” offers some insight. When men’s (sexual) identities are challenged at a core level, it is understandable (even legally justifiable) that they react with (potentially) violent anger. While Kavanaugh’s heterosexuality is not challenged, his identity as a “good man” or “proper patriarch” is challenged and replaced with “rapist”. Kavanaugh's anger strikes me as similar to the violence in Kulick’s discussion of “the homosexual panic defense”. The fact that it is “understandable/justified” is evident from reactions by Republican pundits and supporters providing sound bites over the last 5 days.

-Alex King

> On 1 Oct, 2018, at 13:20, Quinn, E Moore <QuinnE at cofc.edu> wrote:
>
> Friends and colleagues, hello:
> In my upcoming unit on language and gender, I would like to cover the subject of male anger.
> This is a recent Slate article that I could use, but I welcome anything you have to offer.
> Thanks in advance,
> Moore Quinn
>
> https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/brett-kavanaugh-hearing-angry-shouting.html?via=homepage_taps_top <https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/brett-kavanaugh-hearing-angry-shouting.html?via=homepage_taps_top>
>  <https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/brett-kavanaugh-hearing-angry-shouting.html?via=homepage_taps_top>
> Everyone Got to Be Angry at the Kavanaugh Hearing Except Christine Blasey Ford <https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/brett-kavanaugh-hearing-angry-shouting.html?via=homepage_taps_top>
> slate.com <http://slate.com/>
> For men, anger equals authenticity.
>

> E. Moore Quinn, Ph.D.
> Professor of Anthropology
> Department of Sociology and Anthropology
> College of Charleston
> 66 George Street
> Charleston, SC 29424
> quinne at cofc.edu <mailto:quinne at cofc.edu>
> 843 953 7306
>
> See my new book:
> Pilgrimage in Practice: Narration, Reclamation and Healing (UK: CABI, 2018):
>  <https://www.cabi.org/bookshop/book/9781786394996>https://www.cabi.org/bookshop/book/9781786394996 <https://www.cabi.org/bookshop/book/9781786394996>

Alexander King (he/him)
Visiting Assistant Professor of Anthropology
Franklin & Marshall College
PO Box 3003
Lancaster PA 17604-3003
717-358-4674