[Linganth] talking to dead people

Rebecca Pardo rebecca.pardo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 09:49:14 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the great suggestions in response to this post! They are
collected below.

All best,

Rebecca

-

A Companion to the Anthropology of Death

https://www.wiley.com/en-ca/A+Companion+to+the+Anthropology+of+Death
-p-9781119222422

Bloch and Parry eds. 1982. Death and the Regeneration of Life.
Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press

https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/death
-and-the-regeneration-of-life/2C26BF619DD42B131CF9C971DB014C99

"Death: A Cross-Cultural Perspective” by Phyllis Palgi and Henry Abramovitch

Annual Review of Anthropology, 1984

https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.an.13.100184.002125

Sudnow, D. 1967. Passing On: The Social Organization of Dying.
Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall

Farha Ghannam's *Live and Die Like A Man*

Ashley Pattwell’s work*: *
https://spir.aoir.org/index.php/spir/article/viewFile/1139/791.

Kathleen Adams’ work; specifically “Families, Funerals and Facebook …” ;
book chapter in leisure and death

 "Death gets social. Immortality, memory and mourning in the Digital
Culture age":

https://www.ibs.it/morte-si-fa-social-immortalita-libro-davide-sisto/e/9788833930305?inventoryId=116078720

Merav Shohet "Two deaths and a funeral: Ritual inscriptions’ affordances
for mourning and moral personhood in Vietnam"

https://anthrosource.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/amet.12599

Karen Nakamura on Japan; Marco Moskowitz on Taiwan; Charles Briggs on
mourning, specifically Dear dr. Freud and (with Mantini-Briggs) Tell me why
my children died

*Discourses of the Vanishing* by Marilyn Ivy

Steven Feld's Sound and Sentiment

Semeretakis, N. *The Last Word: Women, Death, and Divination in Inner Mani* U.
of Chicago Press 1991

Chapters 2 and 5 in John Durham Peters’ book Speaking into the Air

Manning, Paul. "Spiritualist Signal and Theosophical Noise." *Journal of
Linguistic Anthropology* 28.1 (2018): 67-92.

Tammy Kohn’s work:
https://findanexpert.unimelb.edu.au/display/person127912#tab-publications

https://sarweb.org/seminars/advanced-2018/death-culture/

- Vitebsky, Piers. Dialogues with the Dead: The Discussion of Mortality
among the Sora of Eastern India.

- Kwon, Heonik. Ghosts of War in Vietnam.

Paja Faudree:

2013      *Singing for the Dead: The Politics of Indigenous Revival in
Mexico. *Durham: Duke University Press.

“Uploading for the Dead: Cyberancestors, Publicity, and Revival in Mexican
Day of

the Dead Music.”  *Anthropological Quarterly (under review).*

*2016*

*“Between Aspiration and Apathy: Shifting Scale and the ‘Worlding’ of
Indigenous Day*

*of the Dead Music.” Popular Music and Society 39(3): 359-374.*

*2015*

*“Singing for the Dead, On and Off Line: Diversity, Migration, and Scale in
Mexican*

*Muertos Music.” Language and Communication 41: 31-43.  Part of the special
issue*

*Diversity Talk.*

*2014*

*“The Annual Day of the Dead Song Contest: Musical-Linguistic Ideologies,
Piratability, and the Challenge of Scale.”  Journal of the Royal
Anthropological Institute 20(2): 293-314.*