[Linganth] Call for Papers: Linguistic Geography session at AAG 2019 (Washington, DC)

Niedt,Greg gjn23 at drexel.edu
Tue Oct 23 00:36:36 UTC 2018

(Cross-posted from the Linguistic Geography mailing list: final call!)

Hi all,

The time is almost upon us to finalize panels for the American Association of Geographers' Annual Meeting, and the Linguistic Geography sessions pioneered by Catherine Lee will be making their fourth appearance. Please consider joining in! Here’s our abstract for the sessions:

"Language is often shaped by space, and our ideas of space are in turn conveyed through language. The interaction between the two remains relevant to scholars from a variety of disciplines including cultural geography, linguistic anthropology, sociology, and political science. This interdisciplinary session examines different ways in which landscape and language are connected, methods for analyzing their relationship, and the impact they have on our understanding of the world.

Topics include language and space, linguistic landscapes (language use in public spaces), language and power, ethnophysiography, toponymy, dialectology, linguistic cartography, and the representation of places in discourse. Papers that engage with the conference theme of Geographies of Human Rights are encouraged."

Please reach out to Greg Niedt at gjn23 at drexel.edu by Thursday, October 25th if you are interested in presenting at the 2019 sessions. (Note that you will need to submit an abstract to the conference and provide us with the PIN you receive in order for us to add your paper to our session.) More information about the conference can be found at http://annualmeeting.aag.org/, and please feel free to disseminate the CFP to anyone you know who might be interested.

Cheers,

Greg Niedt and Kirsten Helgeson, Co-Organizers

Greg Niedt, PhD candidate

Drexel University, Dept. of Communication, Culture & Media