[Linganth] Word Gap intervention evaluation studies?

Elinor Ochs eochs at anthro.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 16 04:28:47 UTC 2019

In addition to the Forum in the JLA that Judy mentioned, there is by now a substantial critique of the Language Gap.

For some recent discussions take a look at:

Eric J. Johnson, Netta Avineri & David Cassels Johnson (2017) Exposing Gaps in/Between Discourses of Linguistic Deficits. International Multilingual Research Journal, 11(1): 5-22.

Morelli, Gilda et al. 2018 Bringing the Real World Into Developmental Science: A Commentary on
Weber, Fernald, and Diop (2017).  Child Development.

Ochs, E. & Kremer-Sadlik 2015. How Postindustrial Families Talk.  Annual Review of Anthropology. 44, 87-103.

Sperry, Douglas et al 2018. Reexamining the Verbal Environments of Children From Different
Socioeconomic Backgrounds.  Child Development.

Sperry, Douglas et al 2018 Hazardous intersections: Crossing disciplinary lines in developmental psychology. European Journal of Social Theory

Tami Kremer-Sadlik and I have been writing a critique.  I just gave a plenary lecture at SRCD based on our draft.  We hope to submit these pieces soon and circulate them.

Ellie