[Linganth] Your help? Favorite teaching activities? Language and/or culture

THOMAS_JAMIE THOMAS_JAMIE at smc.edu
Thu Dec 5 16:18:35 UTC 2019

Dear Anthropology friends,

Happy End-of-Semester! I wanted to reach out and ask if anyone would be willing to share a fun in-class activity or take-home assignment or reading/podcast/video you used this semester to teach fundamental concepts regarding language and/or culture.

  *   For example: phone, dialect/variety, modality, noun phrase, inflectional morpheme, minimal pair, manner of articulation, diglossia, endangered language, aphasia, language ideology, idiolect, communicative competence, intersectionality, constructed vs. natural language...

I'm encountering an increasingly diverse range of learning styles and abilities, and would love to know what your favorite and most successful teaching ideas are!

  *   BRAIN HAT: For example, one of my most successful activities from this semester was having undergraduates label and color a *3D paper model of the brain from a cut-and-paste template*. (I've posted pictures to my instagram!)

  *   This helped students visualize the location and importance of language centers of the brain in my Introduction to Linguistics course. I adapted the activity from this website -  https://ellenjmchenry.com/brain-hemisphere-hat/
[http://ellenjmchenry.com/store/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Both-new-brain-hats-1-300x126.jpg]<https://ellenjmchenry.com/brain-hemisphere-hat/>
Brain Hemisphere Hat<https://ellenjmchenry.com/brain-hemisphere-hat/>
Brain Hemisphere Hat. This is the “world-famous” Brain Hat. This humble little hat has been distributed around the world (even at some famous science museums) and has been translated into several different languages.
ellenjmchenry.com

I'm working up a collection of these teaching ideas, and will report back to the list with what is shared. Please feel free to reply off-list (thomas_jamie at smc.edu).

Thanks so much!
Jamie