[Linganth] films on indigenous languages?

Hornberger, Nancy H. nancyh at upenn.edu
Thu Feb 14 15:19:21 UTC 2019

Hello all,

Here is a somewhat random list I put together for a course I teach on Indigenous Education and Language Revitalization.  Several are in Spanish… I hope the links work.
Thanks for all the other ideas already contributed.

Nancy

1) A film about Sámi reindeer herding and climate change<http://framtidsfjall.se/eng/>
2) Natalie Diaz, who started the Fort Mojave Language Reclamation Project, just received a MacArthur Fellowship<https://www.macfound.org/fellows/1007/> for her work as a poet and Mojave language revitalizer. Here’s an 8 minute PBS NewsHour Report<https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/poet-natalie-diaz-returns-to-her-roots> on her work with Mr. McCord  – filmed before she received the MacArthur. It's a great educational "snapshot" of what language revitalization/reclamation work is all about.
3) Two very well made, feature-length documentaries were screened at the Library of Congress a few years ago as part of a program called "Celebrating Native American Language Revitalization in Film."
The trailer of First Speakers: Restoring the Ojibwe Language is available online:
First Speakers: Restoring the Ojibwe Language (Preview)<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MrhZ1yWPjg>A full version can be found here: http://www.tpt.org/first-speakers-restoring-the-ojibwe-language/episode/first-speakers-restoring-the-ojibwe-language/
And a long trailer for We Are Still Here, about Yuchi language revitalization, is available:
We Are Still Here<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wayZsbQavaA>with more info about the full film and other resources available here: http://www.makepeaceproductions.com/wampfilm.html
4) Indigenous language documents unearthed in New South Wales Library, which will “now be digitized and made available to the communities” engaged in language revitalization: video: Treasure trove of Indigenous language documents unearthed at NSW State Library<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFAISlCY60I>article: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/28/dictionaries-shed-light-indigenous-languages
5) PRAESA<http://www.praesa.org.za/> - Project for the Study of Alternative Education in South Africa -- "Growing biliteracy and multilingualism"
Nal'ibali <http://nalibali.org/about-us> - a national South African reading-for-enjoyment campaign to spark children’s potential through storytelling and reading
6) TEDxSoweto talk by Phiwayinkosi Mbuyazi on indigenous language education and wealth disparity. He touches on tertiary education, innovation, and investment in education in indigenous languages. Language and the wealth gap: Phiwayinkosi Mbuyazi at TEDxSoweto<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqhl9tNDAlM> He is a journalist in the isiZulu edition of the Sunday Times, and has created an influential set of indigenous language educational materials called the WIBY Kids.
7) A spotlight on California language revitalization and its relationship to archives and research at UC Berkeley. There’s a strange mention of the revitalization movement beginning “twenty years ago” (?) but a good example of many of the issues encountered working with Indigenous language ed. There are some nice shots of classroom moments.
Native Americans work to revitalize California's indigenous languages<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JvjNvq8dy4>
8) Ojibwe higher ed:
Ojibwe Language<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaDcg5-K1Oo>
 9) Home immersion (Menominee, Wisconsin):
Living Language: Menominee Language Revitalization<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcLPCe1t7fE>
 10) Community classes/ youth engagement (Yurok, California -- people I worked with this summer, really inspiring):
oohl we-son' (The Indian Way): Yurok Language and Culture<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TWCcjtyCQs>
 11) Experience of Indigenous people/ non linguists working with typical linguistic materials (also Menominee, but could be anyone):
Nekaehkenan - I understand<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlWf7mMLZnQ>
12) An interactive/interview/web story from Australia
My Grandmothers Lingo<https://www.sbs.com.au/mygrandmotherslingo/>
13) Wik Elder, Silas Wolmby tells the story of his people's first contact with Dutch sailors on the Western coastline of Cape York Peninsula in 1606.
Turn back <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfUyTEmWqw0>
14) Coca-Cola ad made in Totontepec, Oaxaca, Mexico, and contested by Mixe youth collaborating with the Nutritional Health Alliance (December 2015)
    -- Washington Post article
     Controversial Coca-Cola ad depicts whites introducing soda to poor mexicans<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/12/02/controversial-coca-cola-ad-depicts-whites-introducing-soda-to-poor-mexicans/?utm_term=.2e5cd6deb549>
Original commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrA5DAhQJNo-- Ad remade by Mixe youth
Coca-cola ad remade by Mixe youth in Mexico<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYeBLWz1K0M&feature=youtu.be>TRANSLATION OF VIDEO MADE BY MIXE YOUTH COLLABORATING WITH NUTRITIONAL HEALTH ALLIANCE:
Nutritional Health Alliance: As part of its 2015 Christmas campaign, Coca-Cola launched a commercial filmed in the Mixe community of Totontepec, Oaxaca.  This commercial, which invites people to break down their prejudice, is criticized for being discriminatory, for reinforcing stereotypes and promoting habits that pose a threat to the dignity, culture and health of indigenous peoples.
Nutritional Health Alliance: Here is a commented version of the commercial that shows the reality and shares reflections of Mixe youth.
Coca Cola ad: "81.6% of Mexican indigenous peoples have felt rejected for speaking another language"
Mixe youth: "In 2012, 2.8 million indigenous peoples [in Mexico] did not have access to health services".
Coca-Cola ad: "This Christmas, a group of young people wanted to give them a very special message"
Mixe youth: "Close to one third of the Oaxaca population does not have access to piped water."
Coca-Cola ad: "Totontepec, Oaxaca, Mexico"
Mixe youth: "Consumption of one sugary drink a day increases the risk of diabetes by 26% more than for those who consume less than one such drink a day."
Mixe youth: "50 years ago cases of type II diabetes in indigenous communities were scarce. Now it has begun to be an epidemic."
Mixe youth: "To stay united, we must protect our dignity, our health and our culture."
Coca-Cola ad: "Stay United" Mixe language
Mixe youth: In Oaxaca, we drink tejate, tea and clean water.
Coca-Cola ad: "#AbreTuCorazon" [#OpenYourHeart]
Nutritional Health Alliance: Share it and remove soda from your community
--Linguistic anthropologist Dan Suslak's commentary on the events<https://campanthropology.org/2015/12/01/when-coca-cola-came-to-totontepec/>
15) Heenetiineyoo3eihiiho' (Language Healers) is a 41-minute documentary that tells the story of Native Americans who are striving to revitalize their languages ($99 for the Educational DVD; you can see a trailer here<http://www.empathyworksfilms.com/>, by scrolling to the bottom of the page).  The film includes comments on the importance of Native languages and cultures in Alaska from a Yup’ik dog musher and a Tlingit carver of wood and metal; the story of a seventh grade girl in a Wisconsin school who was recently punished for speaking a few words of the Menominee language; the fight against language loss at a Euchee (Yuchi) immersion school in Oklahoma where only four fluent elder speakers remain; Swarthmore College linguistics professor K. David Harrison introducing his online talking dictionaries project for Indigenous languages; and an inventive Arapaho professor, Neyooxet Greymorning, in Montana, who has been perfecting a method to quickly save Native languages.
16)
Spirit of the Dawn
Trailer at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_QYUdH6T2g
Purchase DVD at https://www.newday.com/film/spirit-dawn<https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newday.com%2Ffilm%2Fspirit-dawn&v=A_QYUdH6T2g&event=video_description&redir_token=nKnZnriGGhyf7qKUXBE3Yo9tQF18MTU0Nzc3NzU1OUAxNTQ3NjkxMTU5>
Spirit of the Dawn explores the dramatic changes in Indian education from the boarding schools of the past, where children were beaten for speaking their language in school, to the more culturally-sensitive classrooms of today. On the Crow Reservation in southeastern Montana, we meet two sixth graders, Bruce Big Hail and Heywood Big Day III, as they participate in an innovative poetry class that encourages them to create beautiful poems celebrating Crow culture and history. Through the children, their parents and their teachers we see the strength and resiliency of a community fighting the constraints of the past to secure a future for its children.
17)
P’urhepecha Jimbo Jurhenkurhini (Aprendiendo en P’urhepecha) 2006, entire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=304fuFp9Shs
Proyecto Escolar Intercultural Bilingüe San Isidro-Uringuitiro Michoacán
Zuleyma p'urhepecha jimbo jurhenkurhini 2011, entire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyfjt7i4xBQ
Plenaria de vida presentada en el IV simposio internacional sobre bilingüismo y educación bilingüe de latinoamerica. Ciudad de Oaxaca. junio-julio 2011.

18)
La Sirena Aalamatzin 1999. 26 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqcREisXmGs  (Barlovento Films)
sponsored by CONACYT-CIESAS, Fondo Nacional para la Cultura y las Artes (FONCA).  Adaptación y guión de Jaime Cruz a partir de la leyenda original náhuatl que se conserva en Xalitla Gro, recopilada y traducida por Cleofas Ramírez Celestino y José Antonio Flores Farfán.

19)
Las Lenguas del Peru. 2008. 30 minutes. At home on DVD, entire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3GCbx0lMz4

Nancy H. Hornberger, Ph.D.
Professor
University of Pennsylvania