[Linganth] New SLA Blog!

SLA Online soclinganth at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 19:51:47 UTC 2019

Dear All,

At the 2018 AAA meeting, the Society for Linguistic Anthropology’s Board
decided to open a space on SLA’s website to begin a blog project that could
showcase pieces written by SLA members at any stage in their career. Given
the proliferation of official blogs from other anthropological
subdisciplines, it felt important to allow the conversations taking place
amongst our membership to enter more public arenas. We intend this to
become a space to encourage and facilitate dialogue amongst our members
while bringing greater visibility to key issues in the field to a wider
audience.

Blog posts shall be relatively brief—somewhere around 4-7paragraphs. Entry
topics have been organized into four categories, without barring any topics
related to issues important to SLA that members might want to write about.
The list below is by no means exhaustive, and meant only to provide a
sketch of what might be featured.

1. Methods and research (relationships with interlocutors, organization
techniques and strategies, ethnographic methods, use of software for
transcription/organization)

2. Academic life (issues in teaching, challenges for writing, labor in
tenure-track, adjunct, or grad student positions)

3. Topics in the discipline (language ideologies, language revitalization,
sign-interpretantrelationships, sociophonetics, etc.)*

**2019 has been declared Year of Indigenous Languages by some global
institutions and SLA will be participating in this focus in ways yet
undisclosed; a blog post on this topic would be fitting once we know more
as to the initiatives.*

4. Linguistic anthropology in practice (on work in the discipline that
happens outside of academic institutions, beyond the classroom)

Any SLA members interested in having a piece featured on the SLA blog
should contact Elizabeth Falconi, Digital Media Director and Diego
Arispe-Bazán, Social Media Manager, via soclinganth at gmail.com, with a topic
proposal, 3-4 sentences long.

--
*Society for Linguistic Anthropology Online*
Digital Media Director: Elizabeth Falconi  (University of West Georgia)