[Linganth] Teaching Materials Query: Short Introductory Piece on Language as Political?

Dick, Hilary dickh at arcadia.edu
Tue Jan 8 14:46:42 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues--

Happy new year, all.

I'm writing with a query about teaching materials for my *Migration
Politics in the Americas* class, which addresses migration from Latin
America into the US via the linguistic anthropological and sociolinguistic
scholarship on this topic.

I'm interested in finding a short piece (maybe an *Anthropology News,
*handbook,
or encyclopedia entry??) for the first week of the class that will
introduce to my students, who are primarily International Studies and
Political Science majors, to the way we conceptualize the relationship
between language and politics in sociocultural studies of language.
Ideally, the piece will help them understand that "politics" isn't only
about the workings of government and international bodies. In this class we
move very quickly into some dense linguistic anthropological concepts, so I
need to establish this basic point right away.

I'll compile responses to share, of course.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
Hilary
--
*Hilary Parsons Dick*
* Associate Professor of International Studies*