[Linganth] Looking for Co-Authors: Indigenous Mexican Languages and Schooling

Campbell, Rebecca rebecca.campbell at uconn.edu
Sun Jan 13 01:03:39 UTC 2019

Hi All,
I am looking for others researching indigenous Mexican languages and education. Specifically, I'm hoping to co-author a paper with others who have primary data on how K-12 schools meet or do not meet the needs of indigenous Mexican families. My focus is on how the schools do or do not understand the linguistic background of families.
For instance, in my research, registrars believed that indigenous Mexican languages were dialects of Spanish, and therefore recorded those languages as 'Spanish' in official records. When I compared school records to a language inventory I did with 1300 students and their families, I found the indigenous Mexican languages of parents were underreported at a rate of 19x.
If you believe your research may complement my analyses so that a more complete picture of indigenous Mexican languages and schooling can be realized, please contact me.

Rebecca A. Campbell-Montalvo, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
Neag School of Education
University of Connecticut
249 Glenbrook Road
Storrs, CT 06269-3004