[Linganth] Military Standard English?

Galey Modan gmodan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 15:58:26 UTC 2019

Has anyone ever heard of US Military Standard English? I'm doing a section
on language standardization in a class; a student of mine was talking to
her grandfather about it, and he mentioned that when he was in the
military, the military took an active approach to standardizing both accent
and grammar so that there would be no risk of miscommunication in
life-or-death situations. I guess this would have been in the 60s or 70s?
I'd appreciate any leads anyone might have about this, as I've never heard
of this before.

thanks a lot,

Galey Modan