[Linganth] redesigning my intro linganth course

Barbara LeMaster Barbara.LeMaster at csulb.edu
Mon Sep 9 19:58:51 UTC 2019

Hi All - In my LingAnth class I have 60+ students. They are mixed hearing and deaf students. I have students learn the IPA symbols for English, then memorize their articulation descriptors. I provide them with materials, including links to sounds, so that if they are hearing, they can associate sounds with the symbols. As we go into phonology, I have all students learn to distinguish minimal pairs in English and in ASL. From there on, we work with spoken and signed languages for examples in the class, and on homework and exams.

For transcription, similar to Steven's description below, students learn how we can only capture part of what we see/hear, and the various reasons behind what gets in and what gets left out.  Students work with naturally occurring data on either spoken English or on ASL.

Dr. Barbara LeMaster

Director, ASL Linguistics and Deaf Cultures (ASLD)

Professor, Department of Anthropology

Professor, Department of Linguistics

EMAIL: Barbara.LeMaster at CSULB.edu

WEBSITE: www.csulb.edu/~lemaster/<http://www.csulb.edu/~lemaster/>

OFFICE: FO3-322

OFFICE VOICE PH: 562 985-5037

OFFICE VP: 562 317-1442

MAIL STOP: FO3-305

ASLD OFFICE INFORMATION:

ASLD OFFICE:  LAB 317

ASLD ADVISING OFFICE: LAB 317

EMAIL: ASL at CSULB.edu

ADVISING EMAIL: ASLADVISING at CSULB.edu

OFFICE VP: 562 985-1446

OFFICE VOICE PH: 562 985-2725

PROGRAM WEBSITE:

http://www.cla.csulb.edu/programs/asld/