[Linganth] Military Standard English?

Matthew Tomlinson matthew.tomlinson at sai.uio.no
Tue Sep 10 08:05:47 UTC 2019

Hi all,

A few years ago, on this listserv, I posted a question about monological military language ideologies of command-and-compliance. I received some great responses, which included the following recommendations:

Carol Cohn, "Sex and death in the rational world of defense intellectuals." Signs (1987).

Catherine Hicks Kennard, "Redefining femininity: female drill instructors in the United States Marine Corps." SALSA VII (1999), Department of Linguistics, U. Texas at Austin, pp. 87-98.

Charlotte Linde, "The Quantitative Study of Communicational Success: Politeness and Accidents in Aviation Discourse."  Language and Society, Vol. 17, No. 3, Sep., 1988.

Although these sources vary in focus, hopefully one or two of them will be useful for your search! And my thanks again to the folks who originally recommended these.

Best regards,

Matt

https://www.sv.uio.no/sai/english/people/aca/mattheto/index.html