[Linganth] reading recommendations?

Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway erhoffma at oberlin.edu
Sun Feb 2 19:31:55 UTC 2020

Here are a few suggestions!

Bloom, Molly. 2019. Liminal Spaces, Titanium Braces: Narrative Tropes of
Competence among

            Wheelchair Basketball Players. *The Journal of Linguistic
Anthropology* 29(1): 119-137.

Robillard, Albert. 1996. Anger In-the-Social-Order. Body and Society
2(1):17-30.

Reno, Joshua (2012). Technically speaking: On equipping and evaluating
“unnatural” language

Learners. *American Anthropologist* 114(3): 406-419.

Friedner, Michele and Pamela Block. 2017. Deaf Studies Meets Autistic
Studies. *The Senses and Society*

            12:3:282-300.

Dumas, Nathaniel. 2012. More than Hello: Reconstituting Sociolinguistic
Subjectivities in Introductions among American Stuttering English
Speakers. *Language
and Communication*, 32: 216–228.

Ochs, Elinor, and Olga Solomon. 2010. Autistic sociality. *Ethos*, 38.1:
69-92.

Kulick, Don. 2015. Loneliness and its Opposite. Duke University Press.

Capps, Lisa and Elinor Ochs. 1996. *Constructing Panic: The Discourse of
Agoraphobia.* Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 2:09 PM Janina Fenigsen <jfenigsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Colleagues, do you have any recommendations for readings that apply
> linguistic anthropological perspective to any aspects of lives of people
> with disabilities other than deafness? We do have Chuck Goodwin's aphasia
> text. This is for my student who is developing an MA research project. Many
> thanks in advance,
>
> janina

Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway, she/her/hers
Associate Professor
Department of Anthropology
Oberlin College

Honorable mention, Edward Sapir Book Prize in Linguistic Anthropology
http://gupress.gallaudet.edu/bookpage/SABINbookpage.html