[Linganth] reading recommendations?

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 19:35:24 UTC 2020

Hi Janina and all, although not formal linguistic anthropology, Barriers
and Belonging co-edited by Michelle Jarman, myself, and Alison Quaggin
Harkin, has a full section on disability and communication that focuses on
how disabilities both effect communication and communication barriers are
disabling for a range of disabilities including stuttering (see also Nathan
Dumas's linganth work on stuttering), fibromyalgia, and Deafness.  See also
Elinor Ochs et al's work on autism.

Dumas, Nathaniel W. "More than hello: Reconstituting sociolinguistic
subjectivities in introductions among American Stuttering English
speakers." *Language & Communication* 32, no. 3 (2012): 216-228.

Jarman, Michelle, Leila Monaghan, and Alison Quaggin Harkin, eds. *Barriers
and Belonging: Personal Narratives of Disability*. Temple University Press,
2017.

Ochs, Elinor, and Olga Solomon. "Autistic sociality." *Ethos* 38, no. 1
(2010): 69-92.

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 12:09 PM Janina Fenigsen <jfenigsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Colleagues, do you have any recommendations for readings that apply
> linguistic anthropological perspective to any aspects of lives of people
> with disabilities other than deafness? We do have Chuck Goodwin's aphasia
> text. This is for my student who is developing an MA research project. Many
> thanks in advance,
>
> janina

Leila Monaghan, PhD
Publisher, Elm Books