[Linganth] AAA 2020 Call for Papers: General Information for SLA Submissions

Sarah Shulist ss371 at queensu.ca
Thu Feb 27 14:16:31 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

The General Call for Papers for the Fall 2020 AAA Meeting, to be held November 18-22 in St Louis is now open. The theme for this year is "Truth and Responsibility<https://www.americananthro.org/AM_Theme?navItemNumber=25372>":

“Truth and Responsibility” is a call to reimagine anthropology to meet the demands of the present moment. The imperative to bear witness, take action, and be held accountable to the truths we write and circulate invites us to reflect on our responsibility in reckoning with disciplinary histories, harms, and possibilities. To whom are we giving evidence and toward what ends? For whom are we writing? To whom are we accountable, and in what ways?

Further information about the process as a whole can be found here<https://www.americananthro.org/AM_CFP?navItemNumber=696>. Of particular importance to note this year is that while the proposal submission deadline is Wednesday, April 8 at 3 pm EST, you have to begin your proposal by Friday April 3 at 3 pm EST (right in the middle of our SLA spring conference, so those of us who are there will be able to remind each other).

Coordinating panels:

I have created a page on Padlet that you can feel free to use to coordinate panels or find a panel to submit your paper too. While individually submitted papers are possible, reviews for AAA are done by panel, so these will be organized into panels after the fact, which can sometimes create less coherent panels. Hopefully, by using this page, you will be able to find and create strong panels. Link here: Linguistic Anthro Panel Coordination: AAA 2020<https://padlet.com/s_shulist/8mbqq3hj7x6w>. Note that the panel length is defined by the AAA as including no more than 7 15 minute slots, which can include presentations, discussant comments, and moderated Q&A.

Other Submission Types/Additional Information:

If you are interested in submitting a workshop and have any questions about this process, please get in touch with me at s.shulist at queensu.ca, as these are handled a bit differently.

The AAA is also making a registration waiver available for guest participants who are not members of the association (e.g. activists, Indigenous Elders, etc). Applications for guest waivers are due March 16.

I look forward to seeing you in St. Louis!

Sarah Shulist
2020-2022 SLA Program Chair