[Linganth] An opportunity for those working on language and social media

LCJ Hub lcjhub at brandeis.edu
Wed Jul 1 12:05:18 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues, please see the message below from a colleague who is
seeking information and expertise that could be useful to the Facebook
Oversight Board.
Kind regards, Leigh Swigart

“My name is Abigail Bridgman and I am a staff member of Facebook's recently
created its Oversight Board <https://www.oversightboard.com/>. The Board's
purpose is to protect free expression by making principled, independent
decisions about important pieces of content and by issuing policy advisory
opinions on Facebook's content policies in a transparent manner. The Board
Members are part time experts from all around the world, supported by a
full time staff from the Board Administration.

With over 3 billion users posting from all around the world in a variety of
languages and with varying degrees of literacy, it is anticipated that
understanding and interpreting issues relating to the sociocultural aspects
of language use, especially in digital spaces and social media, will be a
critical component of the Board's work.

I am seeking both published resources that could inform the Board about the
nuances of digital communication and how they manifest on social media, and
expertise by persons doing research in this area. If you could suggest such
resources or are interested in interacting with Facebook's Oversight Board
on these issues, please send me an email at *socialmedialanguage7 at gmail.com*
<socialmedialanguage7 at gmail.com>. Please understand that this email address
has been created to help me manage the incoming information. Thank you for
your time and consideration."

LCJ Hub team
International Center for Ethics, Justice and Public Life
Brandeis University
Waltham, MA, USA
LCJHub at brandeis.edu
https://www.brandeis.edu/ethics/internationaljustice/language-culture-justice/index.html