[Linganth] Language & Culture Course / Covid syllabi and Race

Teruko Vida Mitsuhara tmitsuhara at ucla.edu
Mon Jun 22 22:01:11 UTC 2020

Hello again colleagues,

Thank you to everyone who has responded publicly and privately. Listservs
can feel simultaneously anonymous and personal, so though we are far and
our SLA conference has been postponed, I do find solace that we can
continue to engage in meaningful conversations here. Looking forward to
holding space with you all in person one day, hopefully soon.

Shannon, I’m definitely glad we are in conversation! Yes, please do share
what information you find for syllabi. In terms of what I think can be
done, my first thought is that it’s probably good to solicit advice from
linganth faculty who have been on hiring committees, and the Dean of your
college. I know there are allies in the subfield, and that there are
faculty who have been working to create change regarding the points of
diversifying their departments and their syllabi for years. I assume the
labor for changing hiring practices is not easy, but the question
nonetheless remains why racial diversification is slower in linganth than
in our sister disciplines.

Another good resource is all the amazing work done by people who focus
explicitly on the issues of inclusion in higher education. A nice overview
is from applied sociologist Zuleyka Zevallos’ work on Intersectionality,
Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Access
<https://othersociologist.com/intersectionality-equity-diversity/>.

In the meantime, for reading and then assigning Black language scholars to
our syllabi, I have created a Google doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l2_E2GFDD6yqPqXEHdpREEnhvFk9gPaCVZgyJECE8Oo/edit?usp=sharing>
that we can all update.

All the best,
Teru