[Linganth] LSJ webinar, Dec. 5th: Citations and Syllabi for Social Justice

Edwin Everhart edwin.everhart at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 19:37:00 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues,

Please see the flyer (attached) and details (below) for the upcoming
Language and Social Justice committee webinar, *Upsetting the Linguistic
Anthropology Canon: Citations and Syllabi for Social Justice*, scheduled
for Saturday, 5 December from 1:00-3:00pm Eastern time (USA). Registration
is required.

*Registration link:*
https://duke.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYvdO2hpjgrGdInNWiBQ1vaJV7kueMYpNQW

*Webinar details:*This webinar addresses social justice in our citations as
anthropological linguists & linguistic anthropologists. While we hope the
webinar will be helpful to both academic and non-academic scholars, in both
teaching and non-teaching roles, parts of the webinar will focus on syllabi
and teaching in linguistic anthropology.

The goal of the webinar is to produce a guide for anthropological linguists
& linguistic anthropologists. The guide will contain suggested best
citation practices and an ordered list of recommended resources, both for
personal use and for use use in actual syllabi. We will post this guide on
the Language and Social Justice webpage and share it by email - ideally
providing a meaningful resource for all anthropologists. Agenda:

*1) Introductions*

*2) Discussion: intellectual history and canon*- What topics, authors, and
specific works are getting assigned in our linguistic anthropology &
anthropological linguistics classes?
- Who belongs in our canon? Who has been erased from our canon?
- Who has been allowed to do theory, and who has been disallowed? Where has
theory been allowed/disallowed to come from?

*3) Discussion: citation practices*- How should we go about finding sources?
- How can we use our citations to work against oppression and in the
service of broader social justice work?
- How can we use our citations to meaningfully support and amplify the work
of marginalized scholars?

*4) Recommended resources*- What topics, authors, and specific works should
we prioritize in teaching linguistic anthropology & anthropological
linguistics? To quote Dr. Lynnette Arnold, here we will collect
"suggestions of resources - articles, podcasts, short news pieces, etc. -
about language by scholars and activists of color that work well for
introductory-level courses." We can begin by considering the LSJ email
thread titled "suggestions to upset the Intro to Ling Anthro canon" which
Dr. Arnold began on June 30, 2020, as well as the LINGANTH email thread
which Dr. Teruko Mitsuhara began on June 17, 2020 titled “Language &
Culture Course / Covid syllabi and Race.”

*5) Syllabi*- How should we structure our syllabi, including the order of
topics? Colleagues have argued, for example, that we should not leave
topics like colonization and language ideologies to the end of the course,
but rather address these issues early on so that students can connect them
to other themes and understand the field more completely. For now, we will
focus on introductory syllabi, considering both undergraduate and graduate
courses, and the different needs and affordances of each.

--
Edwin K. Everhart (he/him)