[Linganth] Important Updates re 10th LANSI (again)

Waring, Hansun hz30 at tc.columbia.edu
Tue Nov 24 15:50:28 UTC 2020

Dear Colleagues:

It's been over 6 months since my last update, and sadly, we're yet to
see the light at the end of the tunnel. If Dr. Fauci is right,  we may
be able to get back to normal in the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2021 (if all
goes well). We have, therefore, decided to postpone our 10th LANSI yet
again--t*entatively to Fall 2021*. We will send out a new call for
proposals with a new deadline in due course. Many thanks to those of you
who have already submitted. Please rest assured that you will not need
to resubmit when the new call opens.

In the interim, we have been planning a *LANSI Virtual Lecture Series*
to continue our engagement with our larger community of language and
social interaction students and scholars. The first talk has been
scheduled for *Friday December 18*, and please stay tuned for  more
details via listervs and social media (https://twitter.com/lansi_tc).

We miss you all and look forward to being together again in Grace Dodge
Hall 179.

Best,

Hansun

On 5/12/20 3:34 PM, Hansun Zhang Waring wrote:

> Dear Colleagues:
>
> After receiving multiple inquiries regarding whether we would consider
> a remote conference this year given COVID-19, our organizing committee
> has reached the difficult decision early this morning that a zoom
> conference would be the antithesis of LANSI's trademark of enabling
> deep conversations in an intimate environment. Our plan, instead, is
> to postpone the conference till *late May 2021 *(specific dates TBA:
> mostly likely 22-23 or 28-29). With that, we would also extend the
> deadline for our CfP to *Dec. 31, 2020--*the final day of this very,
> very unusual year .
>
> We hope we're making the right call, and we're hopeful that this will
> be a conference worth waiting for. It's our 10th anniversary after all.🎈
>
> Till we see each other again--in our full dimensions,
>
> Hansun
>
> On 3/2/2020 5:53 PM, Waring, Hansun wrote:
>>
>> ***Apologies for cross-posting; please distribute widely.***
>>
>> Dear Colleagues:
>>
>> We are pleased to announce the Call for Proposals for our 10th LANSI.
>> We can't wait to celebrate with everyone--old-timers and new
>> comers--as we go double-digit in this brand new decade!
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Hansun
>>

>> **
>>
>> The 10^th annual meeting of
>>
>> *The Language and Social Interaction Working Group**(LANSI)*
>>
>> Teachers College, Columbia University
>>
>> New York City
>>
>> October 9-10 (Fri & Sat), 2020
>>
>> *INVITED **LECTURES*by
>>
>> Douglas Maynard, Marjorie Goodwin, and Adam Hodges
>>
>> *WORKSHOPS*with
>>
>> Alexa Hepburn and Galina Bolden
>>
>> *PANEL DISCUSSION *with
>>
>> Bolden, Goodwin, Hepburn, Hodges, and Maynard
>>
>> CALL FOR PROPOSALS
>>
>> LANSI brings together scholars and students working on
>> naturally-occurring data within the broad area of language and social
>> interaction. In keeping with the LANSI spirit of diversity and
>> dialog, we welcome abstracts from colleagues working on a variety of
>> topics using discourse analytic approaches that include but are not
>> limited to conversation analysis, interactional sociolinguistics,
>> linguistic anthropology, and critical discourse analysis. Abstracts
>> should be no longer than 300 words and should include descriptions of
>> the following aspects of the study: (1) problem(s) being addressed;
>> (2) central claim(s); (3) data source(s) and analytic approach(es);
>> (4) a short piece of data to support the main argument; (5)
>> implication(s) of the findings. Please also include a 50-word
>> summary. Abstracts will be blind-reviewed on the basis of clarity,
>> specificity, originality, and the inclusion of the required
>> components. Papers will be presented within a *15-minute slot with an
>> additional 5 minutes *for discussion.
>>
>> Deadline for electronic submission is *June 1, 2020*. Notification of
> [...]

525 W. 120 Street New York, NY 10027, USA
Phone: (212)678-8128
http://www.tc.edu/lansi/; https://twitter.com/lansi_tc
https://www.tc.columbia.edu/faculty/hz30/
NEW BOOKS: