[Linganth] Follow Up on Thursday's open Forum

SLA Online soclinganth at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 19:02:10 UTC 2020

Dear members and friends of the SLA,

The SLA board of the Society for Linguistic Anthropology would like to
express our thanks to those of you who attended our SLA Open Forum on
Thursday evening.  We came away from the meeting with exciting ideas and
initiatives for moving forward, and we are grateful to you for sharing your
visions of the future with us. Approximately 120 people attended the
meeting over the course of the two hours.

Some of you may have heard that the meeting was zoom bombed during our
awarding of the undergraduate paper prizes. We deeply regret that this
happened. Although we were able to evict the perpetrators and get back on
track within just a couple of minutes, we were unfortunately subjected to
an assault of disturbing images and hate speech. As this is a federal
crime, the SLA board is working with the AAA and CU Boulder OIT to report
the incident to higher authorities, including the FBI.  We are also setting
guidelines in place to prevent this from happening again, which we will
make available to all organizers of SLA-associated webinars and large
meetings.

You may find the minutes, video, and chat of the two hour meeting (edited
to exclude offensive material) at the following google docs link.  I
believe you will see that we had an incredibly productive meeting, in spite
of the disruption.  If anything, I hope that what we experienced on
Thursday will make us all the more committed to using our 'analytic powers'
as linguistic anthropologists to challenge the systems of racism, sexism,
and homophobia that surround us.

Enjoy the excerpted data!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WEkGwoDKJqaHjkb28w07vGUeWMNjpMSk?usp=sharing

Warm regards,
Kira
--
*Society for Linguistic Anthropology Online*
Digital Media Director: Elizabeth Falconi  (University of West Georgia)