[Linganth] Final Call for Participation: Rights, Rules and Rhetoric - 17-18 Nov 2020

LCJ Hub lcjhub at brandeis.edu
Sun Oct 25 12:46:25 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues,

The the preliminary program for our upcoming virtual event around language
and migration is now available at the event webpage. This program includes
descriptions of the various discussion boards, questions to prompt
discussion, and short readings that can help registered participants
prepare. The registration deadline has also been extended until 9 November.

Please see the call for participation below for the link to both the event
webpage and the registration form. We are particularly eager to have
practitioners among our participants - interpreters and translators, legal
counsel, social service providers, etc. -  so please spread the word to
practitioners in your circles. We also have a discussion board devoted to
the language experiences of international students, so forward this call on
to that target audience as well.

We are still looking for people who might wish to serve as facilitators
over the course of the two-day event in 3-hour blocks. Let me know if you
are interested if you haven't already. We will soon send around a link to a
sign-up sheet where you can choose the discussion board that interests you
and the time block that suits your schedule and time zone. We will then
follow up with guidelines about how facilitation works. It is not hard and
is very interesting.

Thanks very much in advance.

Leigh Swigart and the LCJ Hub team
International Center for Ethics, Justice and Public Life
Brandeis University
Waltham, MA, USA
LCJHub at brandeis.edu
https://www.brandeis.edu/ethics/internationaljustice/language-culture-justice/index.html
+1 781 736 2694

If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it online
<https://t.e2ma.net/message/8gje2c/g7wc9wd>.

Share this: <https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/e/8gje2c/g7wc9wd>
<https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/t/8gje2c/g7wc9wd>
<https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/f/8gje2c/g7wc9wd>
<https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/l/8gje2c/g7wc9wd>

*FINAL CALL FOR PARTICIPATION*

*Rights, Rules and RhetoricExploring language for and about migrants in
Australia, Europe and North America*
17-18 November 2020

The Language, Culture and Justice Hub
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/8gje2c/g7wc9wd/sctmml> invites you to participate
in an asynchronous and written online “learning exchange” exploring diverse
language challenges facing migrants as they navigate legal and other
critical contexts, work in academic/professional settings, and respond to
rhetoric that (mis)(re)presents them.

The preliminary program is now available on the event webpage
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/8gje2c/g7wc9wd/84tmml>.

Register at this link <https://t.e2ma.net/click/8gje2c/g7wc9wd/oxumml>
until 9 November 2020.

Participation is simple: over the course of 17 and 18 November (starting 16
November in North America), attendees log on at their convenience to the
learning exchange platform to review comments and contribute their own
thoughts to the developing group conversation. A minimum of two hours of
participation is expected, and there are no registration fees.

Entitled *Rights, Rules and Rhetoric*, this virtual exchange seeks to
examine and compare diverse language-related facets of the migration
experience across Australia, Europe and North America. These facets can be
grouped along three axes:
Photo: IOM 2016/Amanda Nero
1) the rights enacted through laws or directives ensuring procedural
fairness for migrants, including their ability to access critical
information in their languages through translated documents or
interpretation;

2) the everyday rules, written and unwritten, of language provision and
practice in situations involving migrants which may fall short of formally
guaranteed rights and reflect various "language ideologies," that is,
common if sometimes misguided understandings of how language works; and

3) the problematic or demonizing rhetoric about migrants and their
communities of origin, and the obstacles such rhetoric may create for
people on the move.

The exchange will also examine the impact of the current pandemic both on
the availability and adequacy of language services, and on public
narratives about migrants from regions that have been described, often
inaccurately, as sources of the coronavirus.

*Rights, Rules and Rhetoric* seeks participation by a broad range of
actors: migrants, international students, asylum seekers/refugees,
scholars, researchers, activists, and practitioners and policymakers from
diverse fields. The working language of the exchange will be English, but
contributions can also be offered and read in Spanish, French, and Arabic
with the help of computer-generated translation.

Visit the event webpage <https://t.e2ma.net/click/8gje2c/g7wc9wd/4pvmml> to
download the preliminary program and read more about the aims of the
learning exchange, organizers and partner institutions, and how it will all
work.

Register <https://t.e2ma.net/click/8gje2c/g7wc9wd/kiwmml> for the *Rights,
Rules and Rhetoric* learning exchange until *9 November 2020*.

Direct any questions to learning exchange coordinator Hillary Mellinger:
hmellinger at brandeis.edu.

We hope you will contribute your perspectives and experiences during this
important event exploring language and migration. Please forward on this
call for participation to others who might be interested and share the Facebook
event <https://t.e2ma.net/click/8gje2c/g7wc9wd/0axmml> with your networks.
*International Center for Ethics, Justice and Public Life*
Brandeis University
415 South Street | MS 086
Waltham, MA 02454-9110

[image: powered by emma] <https://t.e2ma.net/click/8gje2c/g7wc9wd/g3xmml>