[Linganth] Guest Registration Waivers for AAA 2021 in Baltimore

Kira Hall kira.hall at colorado.edu
Thu Apr 22 15:56:50 UTC 2021

Dear SLA members,

If you are an SLA member and are organizing a panel for the November AAA meetings in Baltimore (November 17-21, 2021), you may request an “annual meeting registration waiver” for a participant on your panel who might otherwise not attend the annual meeting (see description by AAA below). The waiver is designed to provide support to non-AAA members, such as international scholars or scholars in the US or Canada in fields outside of anthropology. If you are interested in applying for one of these waivers, please contact me at kira.hall at colorado.edu<mailto:kira.hall at colorado.edu> by April 25, at the very latest. The waiver application is brief but is due to the AAA on Monday, April 26.

All best

Kira Hall
SLA President

Sarah Shulist
SLA Program Chair

**********
Below is more background regarding the waiver, as outlined by the AAA:

What is the Section Assembly Guest Registration Program?

Each year, in an effort to draw international and community-based participants to the AAA Annual Meeting and increase AAA members' access to these participants' expertise, the association’s Executive Board and Executive Program Committee make Annual Meeting Guest Registrations available to all 40 sections. Guest Registrations qualified individuals who might otherwise not attend the our annual meetings to participate in section-sponsored events. AAA waives both registration fees and membership dues for approved participants; sections and guests are responsible for all other meeting-associated costs.

Who counts as a “qualified participant” for the Meeting Guest Registration Program?

A qualified participant is an individual who has been asked to participate in a section-sponsored event, regardless of academic degree or field of expertise. Qualified participants may be employed outside of the United States or Canada either as practicing or university-based anthropologists or in some related field. Since we expect American anthropologists to be association members, qualified participants based in the United States or Canada must come from fields outside of anthropology.

We have one waiver available for each section who is eligible. Sections that have not filed their annual reports are not eligible for guest waivers. Guest registrations that are unused or unallocated after April 26 will go back into a pool, and a lottery will be held to redistribute unclaimed guest registrations. A section wishing to request additional guest registrations distributed through the lottery must submit, along with the original request, information for up to three additional qualifying scholars, ranked in order of priority. As all waivers are generally not claimed, we use the lottery as outlined above to award any unclaimed waivers.

******
Kira Hall, Professor
(she, her, hers)
Departments of Linguistics and Anthropology
University of Colorado Boulder
Office hours: By appointment only
Zoom Room: https://cuboulder.zoom.us/my/kirahall

President, Society for Linguistic Anthropology<http://linguisticanthropology.org/>