[Linganth] Fwd: Call for Papers for Thematic Panel at Sociolinguistics Symposium 24

Birgul Yilmaz ybirgul.yilmaz at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 08:07:59 UTC 2021

*APOLOGIES FOR CROSS POSTING*

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Birgul Yilmaz <ybirgul.yilmaz at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 at 10:34
Subject: Call for Papers for Thematic Panel at Sociolinguistics Symposium 24
To: <LING-ETHNOG at jiscmail.ac.uk>

*Call for Papers for Thematic Panel at Sociolinguistics Symposium 24*

Inside and Beyond Binaries

13-16 July 2022

Ghent University

*(Un)thinking everyday borders in sociolinguistics*

Beyond physical demarcations and state controlled binary geopolitical
spaces, borders affect our everyday lives. In this panel, we seek to
analyse the *making* of the borders as an everyday practice. By moving away
from the conceptualisation of borders as geopolitical binaries, we turn our
gaze on the everyday *doings *of borders. Borderscapes rationalise logics
of categorisations such as race, nationality, gender, class and age as well
as normalising control and power. Sociolinguistic research has shown that
language is part of making categories and hierarchies. With border controls
getting stricter, we need to understand how and why language plays a role
in crossing borders? What are the practices that include/exclude certain
categories of people linguistically, spatially, legally and socially? What
are the consequences of bordering regimes in terms of deportability,
illegality, immobility, mobility and labour?

Bringing together ethnographic studies that particularly focus on border as
practice, this panel seeks to

· explore borders as not taken-for-granted entities but as sites of
ethnographic investigation that focus on linguistic differentiation and
inequality
· examine how borders are mediated, regulated, aspired and imagined
· critically engage with regimes and rationalities underpinning border as
practice and the role of language in these processes
· evaluate the role of and position of ethnographic research when studying
borders
· critically reflect on the implications of bordering practices in relation
to colonialism, history, gender, law, labour, language and identity.

We are now inviting contributions to this panel, involving a series of 20
min presentations + 10 min Q&A. If you would like to participate, no later
than *Wednesday 15 September, 2021, *please send to Birgul Yilmaz (
birgul.yilmaz at ucl.ac.uk) and Eleanor Yue Gong (yue.gong.17 at ucl.ac.uk) an
abstract of no more than 300 words, indicating the title of your paper,
your name, contact details, as well as affiliation.
--

*Dr Birgül Yılmaz*

*British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow*
UCL Institute of Education