[Linganth] Question RE non-Euro-American Semiotic Theories

Jamin Pelkey jpelkey at ryerson.ca
Tue Jul 6 12:00:00 UTC 2021

Dear Becky,

Great question; thank you.

There is a growing discussion of pre-Qin semiotic theories (starting with
the *Yijing*) in Chinese semiotics -- much of it by comparison with
Peircean semiotic, but the dialogue works both ways (esp. since the era
pre-dates Peirce by 2-3k years). Xingzhi Zhao provides a splendid overview
in a recent chapter here: http://dx.doi.org/10.5040/9781350076143.ch-002

I recently contributed a Peirce-Zhuangzi paper to the discussion here:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/css-2021-0013 -- a semiotic discourse analysis of
Zhuangzi's butterfly dream chapter, applying Mary Douglas's work on ring
compositions, and strongly influenced by Huang's (2010) take on Zhuangzi's
virtue ethics (https://www.jstor.org/stable/40929283), among others.

A group of Chinese scholars including Zhang Jie, Hongbing Yu, Chen Zhong,
and Yao Tingting are working to develop pre-Qin thought into a “Cultural
Semiotics of 'Jingshen'” (景深文化符号学) or 'depth of field' semiotics -- focused
on creative vitality and wellbeing over knowledge-oriented abstraction.
Here is a recent journal section devoted to this development:
http://www.semiotics.net.cn/index.php/zine_view/index/146; and another is
here: https://www.degruyter.com/journal/key/CSS/16/4/html

Best wishes,

Jamin
*Jamin Pelkey, PhD*
Associate Professor
Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures
X University
<https://yellowheadinstitute.org/2021/05/11/welcome-to-x-university-an-open-letter-to-the-community-from-indigenous-students/>,
Toronto