[Linganth] CaMP anthropology author interview - Kate Eichhorn

Ilana Gershon imgershon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 14:03:17 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,
Shuting Li interviews Kate Eichhorn about her new book, The End of
Forgetting
on the CaMP anthropology blog.

If you are interested, you can find the interview here:

https://campanthropology.org/2021/03/29/kate-eichhorn-the-end-of-forgetting/
<https://campanthropology.org/2021/03/29/kate-eichhorn-the-end-of-forgetting/>

Best,
Ilana

Press blurb:

Thanks to Facebook and Instagram, our childhoods have been captured and
preserved online, never to go away. But what happens when we can’t leave
our most embarrassing moments behind?

Until recently, the awkward moments of growing up could be forgotten.
But today we may be on the verge of losing the ability to leave our
pasts behind. In/The End of Forgetting/,*Kate Eichhorn*explores what
happens when images of our younger selves persist, often remaining just
a click away.

For today’s teenagers, many of whom spend hours each day posting on
social media platforms, efforts to move beyond moments they regret face
new and seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Unlike a high school
yearbook or a shoebox full of old photos, the information that
accumulates on social media is here to stay. What was once fleeting is
now documented and tagged, always ready to surface and interrupt our
future lives. Moreover, new innovations such as automated facial
recognition also mean that the reappearance of our past is increasingly
out of our control.

Historically, growing up has been about moving on—achieving a safe
distance from painful events that typically mark childhood and
adolescence. But what happens when one remains tethered to the past?
 From the earliest days of the internet, critics have been concerned
that it would endanger the innocence of childhood. The greater danger,
Eichhorn warns, may ultimately be what happens when young adults find
they are unable to distance themselves from their pasts. Rather than a
childhood cut short by a premature loss of innocence, the real crisis of
the digital age may be the specter of a childhood that can never be
forgotten.