[Linganth] Job Search: UCLA, Assistant Professor of Linguistic Anthropology specializing in Black Communities

Paul Kroskrity paulvk at anthro.ucla.edu
Fri Nov 5 18:56:56 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to let you know that the Department of Anthropology at UCLA is opening a job-search for an Assistant Professor specializing in the Linguistic Anthropology of Black Communities.  The full ad is below and we welcome all qualified applicants to apply.  Thanks for your consideration,

All the best,

Paul

Paul V. Kroskrity
Professor of Anthropology
Department of Anthropology
341 Haines Hall  -   Box 951553
University of California, Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1553
Ph. 310 825-6237
E.    paulvk at ucla.edu<mailto:paulvk at ucla.edu>

 Recent books:
Telling Stories in the Face of Danger (2012 Oklahoma UP) http://www.oupress.com/ECommerce/Book/Detail/1621/telling%20stories%20in%20the%20face%20of%20danger
The Legacy of Dell Hymes (2015 Indiana)  with AnthonyWebster http://www.iupress.indiana.edu/product_info.php?products_id=807807
Engaging Native American Publics (2017 Routledge) with Barbra Meek. https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/e/9781317361282
The Oxford Handbook of Language and Race (2020 Oxford) with H.Samy Alim and Angela Reyes https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-oxford-handbook-of-language-and-race-9780190845995?cc=us&lang=en&

 UCLA acknowledges the Tongva peoples as the traditional land caretakers of Tovaangar (Los Angeles basin, So. Channel Islands). As a land grant institution, we pay our respects to Honuukvetam (Ancestors), 'Ahiihirom (Elders), and 'eyoohiinkem (our relatives/relations) past, present and emerging.

Position Description

University of California, Los Angeles, Department of Anthropology invites applications for a tenure track position in linguistic anthropology at the assistant professor rank. This search is a partnership between the Department of Anthropology and the Ralph J. Bunche Center for African American Studies as part of the campus-wide effort to rise to the challenge of racial and social justice at UCLA, sponsored by the Office of the Chancellor and the Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost. Candidates must have a Ph.D by time of appointment, however it is preferred that candidates have a Ph.D. in hand at time of application Preference will be given to scholarship that explicitly theorizes race, racism, and racialization from a linguistic anthropological perspective, and which focuses on Black communities in the U.S. and/or globally. The ideal candidate would be engaged in a significant ethnographic research project and demonstrate a rigorous methodological approach to analyzing language and communication. Areas of specialization may include language and political economy, language and other semiotic systems, digital media and communication, global flows of languages and genres, language and identity formations, language and politics, and other related areas.The department welcomes candidates whose experience has prepared them to support and contribute to our commitment to diversity. (Relevant documents for committee members include the diversity statement adopted by the Academic Senate of the University of California and the UCLA Chancellor's Statement on Diversity. Please submit your application through UCLA Academic Recruit at: https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/JPF06905.  Applications should include a cover letter, research and teaching statements, curriculum vitae, statement on contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion, up to three representative publications, copies of teaching evaluations (if available), and names and email addresses for three referees.For further information please contact Dr. Paul V. Kroskrity, Dept. of Anthropology, UCLA at Paulvk at anthro.ucla.edu<mailto:Paulvk at anthro.ucla.edu>. Initial review of applications will begin December 15, 2021. To receive full consideration, application submission should be submitted by January 15, 2021. Mailed or emailed submissions will not be accepted.
 Appointment begins July 1, 2022. Salary is commensurate with education and experience and based on University of California pay scales.