[Linganth] Updates on SLA Special Events at the AAAs in Baltimore

Kira Hall kira.hall at colorado.edu
Sat Nov 13 22:25:56 UTC 2021

Dear members and friends of the Society for Linguistic Anthropology,

I wanted to call your attention to four SLA special events that will be taking place in-person later this week at the AAA meetings in Baltimore, listed below. These are in addition to the 20+ SLA-sponsored panels and roundtables associated with the conference. If you are attending the conference, please join us for these important events!

  *   Society for Linguistic Anthropology Student Prize Panel, Wednesday, 11/17-2021, 2:15-4:00 pm, Hilton Baltimore Inner Harbor, Room TBA

  *   Seeking Mentor Relationships: Society for Linguistic Anthropology Mentorship Event, Friday, 11/19/2021, 12:15 -2:00 pm ET, Hilton Baltimore Inner Harbor (buffet lunch available only to those who registered in advance, registration now closed)

  *   Society for Linguistic Anthropology 2021 Awards Ceremony (SLA Undergraduate Paper Prize, John Gumperz Graduate Student Essay Prize, SLA Public Outreach and Community Service Award, New Voices Book Prize, Sapir Book Prize), Friday, 11/19/2021, 8:00-9:15 pm ET, Hilton Baltimore Inner Harbor, Holiday Ballroom 1

  *   Society for Linguistic Anthropology Reception (with treats and cash bar), Friday, 11/19/2021, 9:15-11:00 pm ET, Hilton Baltimore Inner Harbor, Holiday Ballroom 1

If you are unable to attend the conference in-person but would like to participate in these events virtually, we have posted the zoom link for the first three events to the SLA Community webpage on the American Anthropological Association website. If you are not a member of the AAA and cannot access this webpage, please email kira.hall at colorado.edu<mailto:kira.hall at colorado.edu> for the link, specifying your connection to the SLA or to the event. The Student Prize Panel and Awards Ceremony will be set for viewing only, for reasons of security.  However, we are inviting virtual participation in the Seeking Mentor Relationships lunch.

To find the Society for Linguistic Anthropology Community webpage, login to the American Anthropological Association website (if you are a member), click on Communities on the top header, and then scroll through the list of communities until you get to “Society for Linguistic Anthropology.” We have already posted the link for the sessions above to the Announcements section. We will be posting zoom links for additional sessions (if available) by the end of the day on Tuesday.

Finally, please note that there are likely to be errors regarding the titles and times of events and sessions in the hard-copy program, due to some management problems at the AAA.  We encourage you to instead consult the revised online program that becomes available at the start of the conference.

Looking forward to seeing you in one way or another later this week!

With kind regards,

Kira
SLA President

******
Kira Hall, Professor
(she, her, hers)
Departments of Linguistics and Anthropology
University of Colorado Boulder
Office hours: By appointment only
Zoom Room: https://cuboulder.zoom.us/my/kirahall

President, Society for Linguistic Anthropology<http://linguisticanthropology.org/>