[Linganth] Shireen Walton's book, Ageing with Smartphones

Ilana Gershon imgershon at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 17:10:00 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,
Rachel Howard interviews Shireen Walton today on the CaMP Anthropology
blog.  They
discuss Walton's book, Ageing with Smartphones in Urban Italy.

<goog_226317421>
https://campanthropology.org

Best,
Ilana

Press blurb:
‘Who am I at this (st)age? Where am I and where should I be, and how and
where should I live?’ These questions, which individuals ask themselves
throughout their lives, are among the central themes of this book, which
presents an anthropological account of the everyday experiences of age and
ageing in an inner-city neighbourhood in Milan, and in places and spaces
beyond*.* *Ageing with Smartphones in Urban Italy* explores ageing and
digital technologies amidst a backdrop of rapid global technological
innovation, including mHealth (mobile health) and smart cities, and a
number of wider socio-economic and technological transformations that have
brought about significant changes in how people live, work and retire, and
how they communicate and care for each other.

Based on 16 months of urban digital ethnographic research in Milan, the
smartphone is shown to be a ‘constant companion’ in, of and for
contemporary life. It accompanies people throughout the day and night, and
through individual and collective experiences of movement, change and
rupture. Smartphone practices tap into and reflect the moral anxieties of
the present moment, while posing questions related to life values and
purpose, identities and belonging, privacy and sociability.

Through her extensive investigation, Shireen Walton argues that ageing with
smartphones in this contemporary urban Italian context is about living with
ambiguity, change and contradiction, as well as developing curiosities
about a changing world, our changing selves, and changing relationships
with and to others. Ageing with smartphones is about figuring out how best
to live together, differently.