[Linganth] ELAN- workshop Invitation, April 07. Julia Sonnleitner : Of Criminals, Beasts, and Ghosts: The Becoming of Signs and Authors in Semiotic Landscapes

Jing sunnyleaf1984 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 11:20:47 UTC 2022

Dear colleagues,

This Thursday (April 07) EASA Linguistic Anthropology Network will host a
workshop to discuss a paper by *Dr. Julia Sonnleitner* from University of
Vienna. Dr. Meghanne Barker (Institute of Education, UCL) will act as
discussant for the paper. It is my great pleasure to invite you to join us.

If you are interested in attending this workshop, please email me through
sunnyleaf1984 at gmail.com for a copy of the paper.

*Paper Title*

*Of Criminals, Beasts, and Ghosts: The Becoming of Signs and Authors in
Semiotic Landscapes*

*Abstract*

Ethnographic approaches have challenged the idea that semiotic landscapes
are open for interpretation and have shifted the discussion to the becoming
of signs through speakers' positionality. While signs have mostly been
studied as products in Semiotic Landscape Research, this paper puts
emphasis on the emergence of signs as they are recognised, interpreted,
contested, and reaffirmed. I will discuss data from my ethnographic
research on the Vienna Central Cemetery and in particular, how semiotic
items on the micro-landscape of graves are interpreted from the perspective
of people who interact with its materiality. Taking a Peircean semiotic
approach, I analyse how interactants perceive semiotic items on the grave
as indexing authorial intention. However, because indexicality and
iconicity are both conventionalised and contested, determined and
ambivalent, different strategies are invested to achieve claims of truth.
Indexicality is constantly stabilised and destabilised, presupposing and
creating worlds, and resting upon semiotic ideologies that create potential
agents and subjectivities. Finally, I suggest that if people read authorial
intention from semiotic landscapes, they perceive them as acts of
inscription, as performance with social consequences rather than as
products.

Please do not circulate the paper outside the workshop.