[Linganth] Call for Papers: Language Latitudes

Cardoso, Amanda amanda.cardoso at ubc.ca
Wed Dec 14 23:10:39 UTC 2022

Would you please send this call out?

Language Latitudes: Expanding Our Understanding of Language Attitudes
April 13 - 14, 2023
https://blogs.ubc.ca/languagelatitudes/

We are inviting submissions for the Language Latitudes Two-Day Workshop (April 13-14, 2023) at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada. This workshop is a collaboration between the University of British Columbia (Department of French, Hispanic, and Italian Studies and Department of Linguistics), and the University of Bern (Center for the Study of Language and Society).

The Language Latitudes Workshop is an opportunity to engage with scholars interested in language attitudes and their social consequences. For this workshop, we focus on three specific domains: (1) social opportunities, (2) multilingualism, and (3) public voices. We invite research questions about how language attitudes may perpetuate the idea of a monolingual standard (e.g., in research and in the public), adversely affect life outcomes (e.g., in accessing education, employment), impact intergenerational language transmission (e.g., as a result of social bias against particular languages) and limit the public visibility (or audibility) of a diverse range of voices (e.g., in news and speech technology). We encourage submissions that engage with the causes and effects of language attitudes across these domains, with the goal of learning from each other and reflecting on how language attitudes could elevate some voices while marginalizing others.

Invited Presenters

  *
Marie-Eve Bouchard (University of British Columbia)
  *
Andrew Cheng (Simon Fraser University)
  *
Ethan Kutlu (University of Iowa)
  *
Naomi Nagy (University of Toronto)
  *
Rachael Tatman (Language Technology Educator)
  *
Kristin Snoddon (Ryerson University)

The final session of the workshop is a working session with the goal of a large-scale collaborative project on language attitudes. As a result, we expect all attendees to join us for the full two days as our collective work will be most productive by active participation in all sessions. We will send out more information for those papers accepted ahead of time to inspire your own thinking process about this workshop.

A special issue on the above themes is in the works and will be announced on a later date.

Call for Abstracts
We invite abstracts for oral presentations (20 minutes, with 10 minutes for questions. Maximum one page abstracts  should be submitted as .pdf. Abstracts will be reviewed for their suitability given the theme of the workshop. Work-in-progress that are ready for comments are welcomed. The deadline to submit abstracts is January 16th, 2023.

Abstract Submission
To submit your abstract, please click on the following link: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=languagelatitudes23

Important Dates
Deadline for submission: January 16th, 2023
Notification of acceptance: March 1st, 2023

For any enquiries please contact: languagelatitude23 at outlook.com<mailto:languagelatitude23 at outlook.om>

We look forward to seeing you at the Language Latitudes Workshop.

Sincerely,
Amanda Cardoso (PI)
and the Language Latitudes Team
(Dr. Molly Babel, Dr. Marie-Eve Bouchard, Dr. Erez Levon, Mackenzie Dixon, Sarah Lafleur, Suyuan Liu, Angelina Lloy)

Thank you for the support from (alphabetically listed) Canadian Linguistics Association, Centre for Migration Studies UBC, Language Sciences UBC, Public Humanities Hub UBC, and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council in Canada.

Dr. Amanda Cardoso ((She, Her, Hers)<https://equity.ubc.ca/resources/gender-diversity/pronouns/>)
Lecturer
Faculty of Arts | Department of Linguistics
The University of British Columbia | Vancouver Campus | Musqueam Traditional Territory
Totem Field Studios 2613 West Mall | Vancouver BC | V6T 1Z4 Canada
amanda.cardoso at ubc.ca<mailto:amanda.cardoso at ubc.ca> | @DialectsCardoso<http://twitter.com/@DialectsCardoso>
 | http://www.linguistics.ubc.ca<http://www.linguistics.ubc.ca/>

I acknowledge that the University of British Columbia is located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm, Sḵwx̱wú7mesh, and Səl̓ílwətaɬ Nations (Vancouver campuses) and the Syilx peoples (Okanagan campus). This land acknowledgment is an opportunity to show commitment towards reconciliation and the recognition of Indigenous peoples and languages. Please visit https://native-land.ca<https://native-land.ca/> or https://maps.fpcc.ca/ to learn more about these places, peoples and languages.