[Linganth] Job Listing, Tenure Track Assistant Professor Linguistic Anthropology at California State University Sacramento

Flamenbaum, Rachel flamenbaum at csus.edu
Tue Nov 1 17:24:47 UTC 2022

Hello all,
Please see the link and ad below for the newly listed TT Assistant Prof ling anth position at CSUS; we are hoping to circulate this widely!

Hope to see many of you at the AAAs in a few weeks,
Rachel

Rachel Flamenbaum, PhD

Associate Professor

Department of Anthropology
California State University Sacramento
MEND 4028 | Pronouns: she/they

Fall '22 zoom office hours: T/Th 1-2pm
Schedule a conversation with me here<https://calendly.com/drflam/officehrs>.

FULL LISTING HERE: https://careers.csus.edu/en-us/job/520299/tenure-track-faculty-anthropology

COLLEGE: Social Sciences and Interdisciplinary Studies

DEPARTMENT: Anthropology

POSITION TITLE: Assistant Professor - Linguistic Anthropology

POSITION DETAILS:

The Department of Anthropology at California State University, Sacramento (CSUS) invites applications for a full-time tenure track position at the rank of Assistant Professor in Linguistic Anthropology. The department strives to further the campus identity as an institution that welcomes and embraces diversity.  We seek a candidate with strong theoretical and methodological background in linguistic anthropology. Geographic area open.  We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate their potential to succeed in areas of teaching, research, mentorship, and service and that they can contribute to the diversity and inclusive excellence of our community.

JOB DUTIES:

  *   Support the major and the graduate program through teaching linguistic anthropology requirements, developing thematic and methodological courses in their area of expertise and mentoring students.
  *   Develop a focused and productive program of research in their area of specialization.
  *   Provide advising and mentoring to Anthropology majors from diverse backgrounds.
  *   Supervise graduate student.
  *   Provide service to the department, college, university, and to engage in community outreach.
  *   Actively participate in the University<https://www.csus.edu/diversity-inclusion/antiracism-inclusive-campus-plan.html> and Department’s<https://www.csus.edu/college/social-sciences-interdisciplinary-studies/anthropology/_internal/_documents/csus-anthro-statement-on-anti-racism.pdf> commitments to strengthening diversity , equity and inclusivity in all aspects of our work.

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:

  *   Ph.D. in Anthropology or closely related field with an emphasis on Linguistic Anthropology, ABD will be considered. If ABD, all degree requirements must be completed by August 2023.
  *   Knowledge of theoretical and methodological approaches/ issues in Linguistic Anthropology.
  *   Demonstrated evidence of ability to teach lower division introductory and upper division undergraduate, and graduate seminars in Linguistic Anthropology.
  *   Demonstrated experience conducting original research in Linguistic Anthropology, resulting in conference presentation(s) and/or peer-reviewed publication(s).
  *   Demonstrated evidence of effective communication with students and/or other public forums.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:

  *   Scholarship and teaching focus on the politics of language in Black, Indigenous People of Color and diasporic communities; Indigenous language revitalization and/or reclamation; language activism; anti-racist and decolonizing methodologies; language ideologies; multilingualism and language policy; language, intersectionality, and social justice.
  *   Evidence of experience teaching or assisting with one or more courses that are comparable or complementary to the department’s current linguistic anthropology course offerings.
  *   Evidence of continuing scholarship, such as publications, scholarly presentations, grants, fellowships, and post-doctoral appointments.
  *   Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a diverse student population and commitment to equity and inclusivity in pedagogy/educational practices.

APPLICANT INSTRUCTIONS:

Review of applications will begin on December 1, 2022; position open until filled.

Applicant materials must include:

  1.  Cover Letter
  2.  Curriculum Vitae (CV)
  3.  Teaching Philosophy
  4.  Evidence of Teaching Effectiveness (e.g., syllabi, course evaluations)
  5.  Statement of scholarly and research interests
  6.  Sample syllabi for two proposed courses.
  7.  Writing Sample (e.g., journal articles, book chapters, dissertation chapter)
  8.  Diversity Statement describing your commitment to diversity and inclusion in your teaching and/or research, elaborating on how diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice have or will inform your course content and interactions with students.
  9.  Contact information for three (3) references.

DEPARTMENT SUMMARY:

The Department of Anthropology maintains a four-field anthropology curriculum with over 150 majors, supported by 15 full-time faculty, various adjunct and part-time instructors, and five full time staff.  It offers both minor and major baccalaureate degrees and a Master of Arts graduate degree program in anthropology with specialization in one of the four sub-fields: socio-cultural, linguistics, archaeology, and biological anthropology.  The undergraduate curriculum allows students to choose one of three concentrations: Culture, Language and Society (CLS); Archaeology and Biological Anthropology (ABA); or General Anthropology (GA).  The Department also houses the Museum of Anthropology and Archaeological Curation Facility that maintain extensive ethnographic and archaeological collections.  Through teaching, scholarship, and service we promote equity, inclusivity and respect for diversity. Our undergraduate program is designed to give all students a robust and well-rounded education across the four subdisciplines of anthropology, as well as to provide a strong preparation for those who seek advanced study in anthropology and/or to leverage their anthropological skill set in and outside of academia.

About Sacramento State

Sacramento State<http://www.csus.edu/> is located in the heart of California’s capital city, five miles from State Capitol. The lush, 300-acre campus is situated along the American River, close to numerous bike trails and other recreational areas. Sacramento, also known as the “Farm-to-Fork Capital,” is one of the most ethnically diverse and livable cities in the country, with a population of half of a million. Sacramento State’s 31,000 students come not only from the Greater Sacramento Region, but also from across the state, country, and world. Our 1,800 faculty and 1,500 staff are committed to meeting our mission: “As California’s capital university, we transform lives by preparing students for leadership, service, and success. Sacramento State will be a recognized leader in education, innovation, and engagement.” As the regional hub of higher education, Sacramento State is dedicated to student success<https://www.csus.edu/experience/student-success/>, diversity, equity and inclusion<https://www.csus.edu/diversity-inclusion/>, community engagement<https://www.csus.edu/experience/anchor-university/>, philanthropy<https://www.csus.edu/university-advancement/>, and campus safety<https://www.csus.edu/campus-safety/>.

As evidenced by the values embedded in our Hornet Honor Code<https://www.csus.edu/student-affairs/_internal/_documents/hornet-honor-code.pdf>, Sacramento State is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all faculty, staff, students, and guests are welcome and valued.  Our commitment is more than simply ensuring that our campus is free from bias and discrimination, but is one devoted to celebrating many diverse identities, life experiences, and perspectives that enrich our community, teaching and learning.

To learn more about why you should join the Hornet Family, please visit the Why Sac State?<https://www.csus.edu/academic-affairs/faculty-advancement/why-sac-state.html> page.

<https://careers.csus.edu/en-us/job/520299/tenure-track-faculty-anthropology>[see complete listing https://careers.csus.edu/en-us/job/520299/tenure-track-faculty-anthropology]