[Linganth] FW: What is your favorite transcription + / or data spreadsheet software?

Contini-Morava, Ellen L (elc9j) elc9j at virginia.edu
Mon Oct 31 15:36:19 UTC 2022

Dear Linganth list,
I’m forwarding this on behalf of a colleague who is not on this list.  If you have suggestions for her, could you please send them directly to her?
Many thanks,
Ellen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ellen Contini-Morava
Professor Emerita
Anthropology and Linguistics
University of Virginia

From: Lakshmi Fjord <lakshmi.fjord at gmail.com>
Date: Monday, October 31, 2022 at 11:15 AM
To: Anthronews <anthronews at virginia.edu>
Subject: What is your favorite transcription + / or data spreadsheet software?
Dear fellow UVa Anthropology department enthusiasts,
Embarking on a new community-based oral narratives-toward-strategic actions collaboration. This time we have expert practitioners and UVa Law School Clinic students to help with the transcription and data organizing process -- under a very tight deadline of state and federal water permits in a megalandfill's toxic pollution regulatory process.

Can you help us decide what transcription software to use that is easiest to edit for corrections by community experts?

What are your recommendations for data organizing from these transcriptions? Spreadsheets we can share online; and/or whatever innovations you have uncovered for this part of the labor?

Again, luckily this time we have very adept support to do these steps after the community leaders have done interviews with local residents of Pine Grove Community, a Free Black built community in Cumberland County, VA.

Many thanks,
Lakshmi

Lakshmi Fjord, PhD ('03)
cell: 510-684-1403