[Linganth] Invitation to ELAN Workshop September 22

Graan, Andrew andrew.graan at helsinki.fi
Thu Sep 15 14:27:49 UTC 2022

Dear linguistic anthropology colleagues,

It's my pleasure to invite you to the first meeting of the ELAN workshop series for this year, where we'll be discussing the paper "White Pride and Profit," by Catherine Tebaldi & Alfonso Del Percio. Andy Graan will be the discussant for this exciting paper. The abstract is below.

If you would like to attend, please email me at meghanne.barker at gmail.com<mailto:meghanne.barker at gmail.com> and I can send you the paper. As with all drafts for our workshop, please do not circulate the paper further without the authors' permission.

The workshop will take place on Thursday, September 22, at 12:15-13:45 British Summer Time, on Zoom. The Zoom invitation is pasted below.

Please contact me if our usual timing for the workshops doesn't work well for you. I can send out a poll to see if it makes sense to change the time for future meetings, as we're happy to have as many people as possible participating!

The current schedule for this year can be found here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1njeIdJXhDtgI8ziSumDMTR0uCGzCoPUpt984UF45s_I/edit>.

We're looking forward to this first meeting and to many more!

Best,

Meghanne and Janet

Join Zoom Meeting
https://ucl.zoom.us/j/3250685901

Meeting ID: 325 068 5901
One tap mobile
+443300885830,,3250685901# United Kingdom
+441314601196,,3250685901# United Kingdom

Dial by your location
        +44 330 088 5830 United Kingdom
        +44 131 460 1196 United Kingdom
        +44 203 481 5237 United Kingdom
        +44 203 481 5240 United Kingdom
        +44 203 901 7895 United Kingdom
        +44 208 080 6591 United Kingdom
        +44 208 080 6592 United Kingdom
        +852 5803 3730 Hong Kong SAR
        +852 5803 3731 Hong Kong SAR
        +852 5808 6088 Hong Kong SAR
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 386 347 5053 US
        +1 564 217 2000 US
        +1 646 931 3860 US
        +1 669 444 9171 US
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 719 359 4580 US
        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
        +1 309 205 3325 US
        +39 020 066 7245 Italy
        +39 021 241 28 823 Italy
        +39 069 480 6488 Italy
        +1 780 666 0144 Canada
        +1 204 272 7920 Canada
        +1 438 809 7799 Canada
        +1 587 328 1099 Canada
        +1 647 374 4685 Canada
        +1 647 558 0588 Canada
        +1 778 907 2071 Canada
        +49 69 5050 0952 Germany
        +49 695 050 2596 Germany
        +49 69 7104 9922 Germany
        +49 69 3807 9883 Germany
        +49 69 3807 9884 Germany
        +49 69 5050 0951 Germany
        +33 1 8699 5831 France
        +33 1 7037 2246 France
        +33 1 7037 9729 France
        +33 1 7095 0103 France
        +33 1 7095 0350 France
        +353 1 653 3897 Ireland
        +353 1 653 3898 Ireland
        +353 6 163 9031 Ireland
        +353 1 240 8941 Ireland
        +353 1 536 9320 Ireland
        +353 1 653 3895 Ireland
Meeting ID: 325 068 5901
Find your local number: https://ucl.zoom.us/u/abanicC9yI

“White Pride and Profit”

Catherine Tebaldi & Alfonso Del Percio

Women have become increasingly influential ‘ideological entrepreneurs'' (Finlayson 2019) on the far-right, selling white pride as influencers and as small business owners. They use the tools of social media (platform capitalism and parasocial relationships, that is, selling yourself and fake friendship) to circulate far-right politics, what Maly (2018) terms metapolitical intimacy. They shape a discourse that makes far-right politics seem normal, nostalgic and attractive, a “metapolitical seduction” (Tebaldi 2021) performing as ideal wives, or hot yoga moms.

This paper looks at two women from English fascist group patriotic alternative : Laura Melia (formerly Towler) and Jody Swingler. These women use a cottagecore aesthetic, a celebration of nature, or a love of yoga to celebrate, and monetize, English identity selling tea, and ‘pure English’ soap. It asks how these women sell Englishness, and themselves, on social media? With what (language) ideologies? What do these do?