[Linganth] October 6 Event, 12-2pm EST: Reclaiming New Speakers, Revising Old Authenticities: Basque, Catalan, and Galician in 2022

Katherine Christoffersen katherine.christoffersen at utrgv.edu
Wed Sep 28 15:03:29 UTC 2022

Dear all,

We hope you have had a good holiday time. We would like to share with you the poster for the event “Reclaiming New Speakers, Revising Old Authenticities: Basque, Catalan, and Galician in 2022” (with the registration requirement) scheduled for next October 6. This event is organised by EDiSo`s Research Commission  and co-sponsored by the CLASP Program at the University of Colorado Boulder. For each of these three contexts we have had 'outsiders' and 'insiders' academics: Jacqueline Urla and Estibaliz Amorrortu (Euskadi), Bernadette O'Rourke and Martín Vázquez (Galiza), and Kathryn Woolard and Maite Puigdevall (Catalonia).

The event aims to open a critical conversation about the three main minoritized languages in the Spanish State -Basque, Catalan and Galician- and their sociolinguistic position in this third decade of the 21st century. We are interested in critically analyzing the reconfiguration of the ideologies of anonymity and authenticity around the use of these endangered languages in contemporary Spain. This exercise implies the consideration of the social relations of power between speakers of Basque, Catalan and Galician, on the one hand, and Spanish speakers (both within and outside these communities), on the other, as well as the role that these languages play in the processes of identity construction and economic exchanges. Some of the questions that fuel this event proposal are: To what extent could we democratize knowledge about the sociolinguistic dynamics of Basque, Catalan and Galician by decentralizing academic contributions beyond the national framework? How could we recognize their speakers without reifying them or imposing monolithic identities on them? Is international research (in sociolinguistics and linguistic anthropology) an opportunity to broaden publics for language revitalization and policy in these three stateless communities?

The main languages of the event will be English and Spanish and other Iberian languages, always guaranteeing mutual understanding, in line with EDiSo's heteroglossic policy.

Please share it widely with your colleagues and students, through your social media and academic networks.

Best regards,

Carla Amorós & Daniel Amarelo

[Nc7jstZHBR4AAAAASUVORK5CYII=]<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.utrgv.edu%2Fen-us%2F&data=04%7C01%7Ckatherine.christoffersen%40utrgv.edu%7C95f1b5bd52124204fcc608d9875e24e5%7C990436a687df491c91249afa91f88827%7C0%7C0%7C637689660676936075%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=5L1sWQGqZoytO1CbIgVKONDawJzz3fmMNk9osSEswao%3D&reserved=0>

Katherine Christoffersen

Assistant Professor of Applied Linguistics . Department of Writing & Language Studies
Associate Director . B3 Institute
(956) 665-8102
https://katieoc.weebly.com
Corpus Bilingüe del Valle<http://utrgv.edu/cobiva>
B3 Institute<https://www.utrgv.edu/b3-institute/>
Brownsville • Edinburg • Harlingen

Recent Articles:

Linguistic terrorism in the Borderlands: Language ideologies in the narratives of young adults in the Rio Grande Valley<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/19313152.2019.1623637?journalCode=hmrj20> (Christoffersen, 2019, Preprint available here<https://scholarworks.utrgv.edu/wls_fac/15/>)

"Toda lengua es válida aquí en esta clase": Translanguaging pedagogy and critical language awareness in sociolinguistics courses on the U.S.-Mexico border<https://tabe.org/publicationshome/#s-9625dd32-e5d6-4262-bfa6-ca28175c798a> (Christoffersen & Regalado, 2021, Individual article available here<https://scholarworks.utrgv.edu/wls_fac/62/>)

NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail message and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients. This message and any attachments hereto may constitute an attorney-client communication, and as such are privileged and confidential.  This message may also contain confidential student information.  If you are not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and any attachments hereto is strictly prohibited under the Federal Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. 1232 G, 34 C.F.R. Part 99).  If you have received this message in error, please notify me immediately.