[Linganth] supporting CaMP anthropology blog

Ilana Gershon imgershon at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 14:00:00 UTC 2023

Dear Colleagues,
It is the time of year that I remind you that the CaMP anthropology blog
<https://campanthropology.org/> is a big tent project that is supported by
your donations of time in a variety of ways.

If a book is coming out in the upcoming year, please let me know and I will
try to find an interviewer for the author.  It always helps me to get the
names of people who have already read the book manuscript -- I try to
minimize how much time I am withdrawing from our community's time bank.

If you would like to help a colleague get word out about their book that
fits within the rubric of ethnographies of communication, media, and
performance, I am always happy to accept author interviews.  If I get the
author interview in time, I will release it on the day the book is
published.

This is a very good way for newcomers to our community to join in our
larger intellectual conversations.  So please please encourage your
graduate students to interview authors of recently published books.  In the
past, people have made conducting an author interview into an assignment in
graduate courses, which has worked quite well.  If you are interested in
offering this kind of assignment, please let me know and I will send along
my instructions for doing an author interview and a link to a list of books
still waiting for an interviewer.

And please let me know if there is an imaginative way that CaMP
anthropology can serve our intellectual community that it isn't currently
doing -- I am always happy to take suggestions.

I am going to continue running a virtual reading group that meets at noon
est on the last Friday of every month in my academic calendar -- you can
find the list of authors here
<https://campanthropology.org/virtual-reading-group/>.

Thank you all for helping to keep CaMP anthropology going,
Ilana