[Linganth] on the CaMP anthropology blog today

Ilana Gershon imgershon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 12:23:00 UTC 2023

Dear Colleagues,
Today Jeremy Rud asks Lindsey Clouse about her analysis of Hollywood
accents in her new book, Stigmatized on Screen.

https://campanthropology.org

Best,
Ilana
Press blurb: This book reveals how marginalized communities and women are
underrepresented on our screens and, too often, depicted in stereotypical
ways. This is doubly true for marginalized speakers—those who speak
traditionally “nonstandard” dialects. Lindsey Clouse examines the origins
of linguistic prejudice and how our public schools perpetuate the myth of
“bad” English. By dissecting the 500 top-grossing films of the last 20
years, Clouse exposes how speakers of Black English, Southern U.S. English,
Spanish-influenced English, and gendered speech patterns are represented,
underrepresented, misrepresented, and mocked. Clouse analyzes hundreds of
films and characters to reveal how filmmakers and audiences work together
to reinforce negative beliefs about stigmatized dialects and the people who
speak them and reveals how those beliefs stack up against decades of
linguistic research. She concludes by showing that these portrayals
translate to real-life linguistic discrimination and discusses the ways in
which we can combat this often-hidden prejudice. Scholars of introductory
sociolinguistics, american dialect studies, and media studies, will find
this book of particular interest.