[Linganth] Citations on introductions in Indigenous languages

Georgia Ennis gennis at email.wcu.edu
Fri Jan 20 14:03:50 UTC 2023

Dear colleagues,

I am writing to see if anyone has suggestions for literature on the importance of and cultural protocols for introductions/greetings in Indigenous languages of the Americas. I'm working on something new discussing the role of self-introductions in Ecuadorian Kichwa discourse and hope to engage other scholarship on the theme. I am thinking especially of the importance of identifying territorial and family lineages in self-introductions in public discourse. I know of some of the work on greetings/introductions in other contexts (e.g. Duranti; Irvine), but I am having more difficulty with introductions in Native North or South America. Citations from related disciplines are welcomed.

Thank you very much!
Best wishes,

Georgia

--