[Linganth] CFP: Contribute to the Talking Politics 2023 Blog

Roberto Young roberto_young at utexas.edu
Tue Jan 31 00:52:36 UTC 2023

Dear Colleagues,

I’m excited to invite online contributors to a short-term blog series
focused on global politics. The blog will run between February and June
2023, coinciding with the public-facing event series, “Talking Politics
2023: Silences and Voices in Global Media.” This series is jointly
organized by UChicago’s Center for the Study of Communication and Society
(CSCS) and CU Boulder’s Culture, Language, and Social Practice (CLASP).
Through it, we aim to reach beyond traditional academic audiences to show
how experts in the academy and beyond analyze empirical data to ground
their findings.

Talking Politics 2023 builds on the first iteration of the series. Talking
Politics 2020 featured webinars by Adam Hodges, Norma Mendoza-Denton, Janet
McIntosh, Jonathan Rosa, and Michael Lempert, who shared their analytic
perspectives on the 2020 U.S. Presidential Election. In Talking Politics
2023, we’re excited to expand our focus to include global political affairs
beyond U.S. electoral politics. Our intended topics range from hyper-local
political discourse (like U.S. school boards) to global contestations of
“Mother Tongue,” the International Decade of Indigenous Languages, and the
transnational semiotics of “left/right” political binaries.

We welcome proposals for contributions in any format, from conventional
blog writing on current events to interviews to creative or experimental
formats, such as visual, video, audio, and/or works co-created with
artists, educators, students, activists, etc. Junior scholars — especially
students at any level or stage in their programs — are particularly
encouraged to contribute!

If interested, please reach out to Roberto Young (roberto_young at utexas.edu),
Josh Babcock (jdbabcock at uchicago.edu), and Jacob Henry (
jacob.henry-1 at colorado.edu). If you have concrete ideas in mind, feel free
to share them in your initial email. Or, if you don’t have a specific idea
but are broadly interested in the series and/or topic and want to be
involved, feel free to drop us a note, as well!

We will accept both expressions of interest and written contributions on a
rolling basis, but for priority consideration, we look forward to hearing
from you by February 3, 2023.

Best,

Roberto, Josh & Jacob
--
Roberto Young, Postgraduate Fellow
The University of Texas at Austin | Teresa Lozano Long Institute of Latin