[Linganth] Call for AAA Panel Participation: Framing Transitions Along Gender and Sexual Borders

miyazaki ayumi miyazaay at yahoo.co.jp
Sat Mar 4 05:18:15 UTC 2023

* { font-size: 13px; font-family: 'MS Pゴシック', sans-serif;}p, ul, ol, blockquote { margin: 0;}a { color: #0064c8; text-decoration: none;}a:hover { color: #0057af; text-decoration: underline;}a:active { color: #004c98;}
Dear friends and colleagues,

I am organizing a panel for AAA 2023 titled Framing Transitions Along Gender and Sexual Borders with my colleagues, Gavin Furukawa and Shunsuke Nozawa. The tentative panel abstract is pasted below, which we will revise to incorporate the participating papers. Geographical areas are open. If you are interested, please send your abstract (250 words) to Ayumi Miyazaki (miyazaay at yahoo.co.jp) by March 15, if possible.

ABSTRACT (tentative): “Transition” conjures up a sense of linear movement — something in transition, framed by a “from” and “to”, something on the way to some place. Situating this rather commonsensical, hegemonic image of linear and teleological movement in the domain of gender and sexuality, our panel aims to document and explore unexpected ways in which the experience of transition, change, switch, or shift manifests itself in practice. What analytic and methodological insights might we gain by problematizing the familiar image of gendered and sexual transition as temporary or liminal? The contemporary interest in the trans approach and the politics of intersectionality are important sources of inspiration for our panel, as we pay closer attention to myriad possibilities in the temporal and spatial matrix (or chronotope; Bakhtin 1981) of gender and sexual transition. In particular, our panel emphasizes the significance of the way transition is “framed” (Goffman 1974) — that is, situated within an emergent, contingent, co-constructed structure of interpretability — in discourses and performances of transition that transpire on point to gender and sexual borders. What would transition look like if we pay heed to multiple and competing framing efforts made by people and institutions? Instead of or over and above the image of the line demarcated by stations (‘from’ and ‘to’), transition may be framed as a spacetime with multiple “centres” of authority and power (Blommaert 2007); as a conflictual or complementary field of attraction and repulsion; as an experience of layers, spirals, or refrains (in which the same ‘point’ may have different functions or effects); as an alternating pattern of presence and absence, putting-on and taking-off (as in some forms of crossdressing), movement and rest; or even as momentary stasis that serves as a bodily, affective, discursive, and/or material practice of anti-normativity (Milani et al 2020).

We welcome papers that speak to these and other questions of transition in the domain of gender and sexuality through their ethnographic research, regardless of geographical focus.

Best regards,

Ayumi

Japan Women's University, Tokyo

miyazaay at yahoo.co.jp