[Linganth] Call for Papers Semiotic Review 'Animation"

Paul Manning simperingpollyanna at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 14:17:41 UTC 2023

The peer-reviewed online journal Semiotic Review (is pleased to announce
our call for papers for our 10th issue, "Animation", as well as, for those
who are unaware of us, we continue to publish articles on an ongoing basis
in our previous issues:
https://www.semioticreview.com

*Issue 10: Special Open Issue on Animation in Semiotic Review*

*https://www.semioticreview.com/ojs/index.php/sr/callforpapers
<https://www.semioticreview.com/ojs/index.php/sr/callforpapers>*

“The animated drawing is the most direct manifestation of…Animism! That
which is known to be lifeless, a graphic drawing, is animated. *Drawing as
such*—outside an object of representation!—is brought to life…..The very
idea, if you will, of the animated cartoon is like a direct embodiment of
the method of animism.”  – Eisenstein, *Eisenstein on Disney.*

What is animation? What does it mean to animate things in various media, to
invest them with their own life and agency? And what is it like to live
among such animated things?  This special issue is open to papers from any
discipline that look at animation semiotically, not only as a specific
medium or art form (viz. cel animation, stop motion, and so on) but also as
a broader category of semiotic action, the projection of humanity into the
nonhuman world. Inspired especially by Alan Cholodenko’s (1991, 2007, 2016,
this issue) and Teri Silvio’s (2010, 2019) wide-ranging syntheses, we see
the term animation as encompassing a series of related approaches, ranging
from new reconceptualizations of what has been called “animism,” including
the recognition of “other-than-human persons” (Hallowell 1960) and Sergei
Eisenstein’s conception of the  “plasmaticness” of animation as a kind of
animism (1986), to the animated “life” of nonhuman characters in Japanese
media and everyday life (Nozawa, this issue), to the agency of
heterogeneous assemblages in the “Vital Materialism” of Jane Bennett’s *Vibrant
Matter *(2010). We invite papers that approach the proliferation of
animated beings (resulting either from narrower or broader definitions of
animation) populating our “more than human” world.  In the spirit of the
epigraph by Soviet film pioneer Eisenstein, we invite theorizations of
animation in broad relation to animism and vitalism, bringing together
cartoon characters and stop motion animated objects with ghosts, dolls,
puppets, ancestors, gods, brands, automatons, robots, cyborgs, voice chips,
vocaloids, avatars, virtual idols, and so on.

Submissions should be sent to semioticreview at gmail.com. Information on
submission is available here:
https://www.semioticreview.com/ojs/index.php/sr/submission

*Semiotic Review *is a multidisciplinary open-access online peer-reviewed
journal publishing review articles as well as original essays. It
endeavours to monitor those domains in the Humanities, the Social and the
Natural Sciences which bear upon symbolic and communicative behaviour,
cognitive systems and processes, cultural transmission and innovations, and
the study of information, meaning and signification in all forms. It
specializes in open issues, thematically linked issues that accept
publications on a rolling ongoing basis.

Bennett, Jane, 2010. *Vibrant matter: A political ecology of things*. Duke
University Press.

Cholodenko, Alan. 1991 Introduction, *The Illusion of Life: Essays on
Animation*, ed. Alan Cholodenko, Power Publications in association with the
Australian Film Commission, Sydney.

Cholodenko, Alan.  2007. *The Illusion of Life 2: More Essays on Animation*,
ed. Alan Cholodenko, Power Publications. Sydney.

Cholodenko, Alan. 2016. The Expanding Universe of Animation (Studies).
*Animation
Studies*, vol. 11.
https://journal.animationstudies.org/alan-cholodenko-the-expanding-universe-of-animation-studies/

Alan Cholodenko. This issue.  The animation of Cinema.  *Semiotic
Review.  *Originally
Cholodenko, Alan. The Animation of Cinema. *Semiotic Review**, [*S.l.], n.
3, sep. 2022. Available at: <
https://www.semioticreview.com/ojs/index.php/sr/article/view/64>.
Reprinted this issue.

Eisenstein, S., 1986. *Eisenstein on Disney*. Seagull Books.

Hallowell, A.I., 1960. Ojibwa ontology, behavior, and world view. In *Culture
and History * ed. Stanley Diamond. Columbia University Press.

Nozawa, Shunsuke. This issue.  Characterization. *Semiotic Review. *Originally
Nozawa, Shunsuke. Characterization. *Semiotic Review*, [S.l.], n. 3, nov.
2013. Available at: <
https://www.semioticreview.com/ojs/index.php/sr/article/view/16>. Reprinted
this issue.

Silvio, Teri. 2010. Animation: The new performance?. *Journal of Linguistic
Anthropology*, *20*(2), pp.422-438.

Silvio, Teri. 2019. *Puppets, gods, and brands: Theorizing the age of
animation from Taiwan*. University of Hawaii Press.
--
Paul Manning
Professor of Anthropology, Trent University