[Linganth] LANSI 2023 Call for Proposals

Waring, Hansun hz30 at tc.columbia.edu
Wed Mar 15 11:01:05 UTC 2023

***Apologies for cross-posting; please distribute widely.***

Dear Colleagues,

We are delighted to announce the Call for Proposals for our 11th LANSI
conference! For our regulars, as we enter this second decade of LANSI,
we will be experimenting with three small changes : (1) a more
streamlined abstract with fewer required components; (2) the option to
submit a single narrated slide in lieu of the traditional abstract; (3)
a further shortened presentation slot to encourage a sharper focus on
core elements of the project and allow for more discussion time.

**

The 11th annual meeting of

*The Language and Social Interaction Working Group (LANSI)*

**

Teachers College, Columbia University

New York City

October 13-14 (Fri & Sat), 2023

*INVITED SPEAKERS *

Tanya Stivers, UCLA

Steven Talmy, The University of British Columbia

*CALL FOR PROPOSALS*

LANSI brings together scholars and students working on
naturally-occurring data within the broad area of language and social
interaction. In keeping with the LANSI spirit of diversity and dialog,
we welcome abstracts from colleagues working on a variety of topics
using discourse analytic approaches that include but are not limited to
conversation analysis, interactional sociolinguistics, linguistic
anthropology, and critical discourse analysis. Abstracts should be
*no longer than 250 words* and should include descriptions of the
following aspects of the study: (1) research question; (2) data and
method; (3) key finding with a short illustrative data segment.
Alternatively, you may now submit a link (e.g., Google or Dropbox) to a
*single, 2-3 min, audio-narrated PPT slide* that displays one data
extract and addresses (1)-(3) above. Please also include a 50-word
summary regardless of your mode of submission.

Abstracts will be blind-reviewed on the basis of clarity, specificity,
originality, and the inclusion of the required components. Papers will
be presented within a *10-minute slot with an additional 10 minutes *for
discussion.

Deadline for electronic submission is *June 15, 2023*. Notification of
acceptance or otherwise will be sent via email by *early July, 2023*.
For additional information and to submit an abstract, please visit:
www.tc.edu/lansi <http://www.tc.edu/lansi>.

Conference Co-chairs

Hansun Zhang Waring
Allie King