[Linganth] CFP: Indigenous Lexicography

Schreyer, Christine Christine.Schreyer at ubc.ca
Mon Mar 27 21:58:55 UTC 2023

We invite proposals on the topic of Indigenous Lexicography for an upcoming special issue of Dictionaries - Journal of the Dictionary Society of North America to be published by December 2023. Full submission details are in the CFP below.

Thanks,
Christine Schreyer (and Mark Turin)

-----------------------

Call for Papers

Indigenous Lexicography:
A Special Issue of Dictionaries - Journal of the Dictionary Society of North America

This special issue centers the work of Indigenous language champions and scholars, particularly anthropologists and linguists, who are engaged in active collaborations on dictionary projects for communities as both forms of language documentation and as essential tools in language revitalization.

Coinciding with the beginning of the United Nations International Decade of Indigenous Languages 2022-2032<https://www.un.org/development/desa/indigenouspeoples/indigenous-languages.html>, the special issue provides a platform to highlight the unique role of dictionaries in Indigenous communities and the inspiring work in which Indigenous lexicographers and their partners are engaged.

For under-resourced languages spoken by Indigenous communities, dictionaries contain crucial historical, cultural and territorial information. When languages become endangered, dictionaries often become primary tools for language learning. In language communities that have few written records, lexicography can be very time-consuming and labor-intensive. In some cases, communities are working to build new dictionaries, the first of their kind for a language or a dialect, while in others, communities are using legacy language documentation to compile new dictionaries to serve wider audiences.

In this special issue, we highlight the specific needs and strategic goals that speakers of Indigenous languages have for their dictionary projects and reflect on the challenges that communities face in realizing these goals. All the projects and partnerships in this special issue are examples of what we call ‘Relational Lexicography’, a shift towards dictionaries that are created by and with speakers and learners of under-resourced languages themselves, which recognize the relationships between speakers, between dialects, and also the relationships that exist between community language workers and academics.

We invite submissions that contribute to and center community perspectives in dictionary-making. While we hope that the following suggested topics might provide inspiration for a range of submissions, we anticipate that proposals will likely extend beyond these themes:

  *   technologies for dictionary making;
  *   incorporating dialects and speaker variation into dictionaries;
  *   challenges and benefits of multimedia dictionaries;
  *   open-access dictionaries;
  *   challenges and benefits of online versus print dictionaries;
  *   historic or legacy format dictionaries and dictionary-making;
  *   ways to include speakers’ relationships in dictionary-making;
  *   examples of community/academic collaborations in dictionary-making;
  *   the process and development of dictionary projects;
  *   new word creation and inclusion in dictionaries;
  *   the inclusion of archaic words and traditional cultural content in dictionaries;
  *   reviews of dictionary projects (complete or in development)

Journal information:

Dictionaries: The Journal of the Dictionary Society of North America is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes articles on all aspects of lexicography, as well as from areas of linguistic inquiry that relate to lexicography, and from the study of reference works in general as they bear on dictionary-making. The journal’s regular special sections include “Reference Works in Progress” and “Teaching Dictionaries” (on lexicography-oriented pedagogy), and Reviews.

For more information, visit: https://muse.jhu.edu/journal/540

Submission details:

If you are interested in submitting a paper for this special issue, please submit a 300-word abstract and a 100-word bio note about each contributor written in the third person and indicate the type of paper you are interested in submitting, including regular paper, reference works in progress, or a review of a lexicon or lexicography website.

Please send your proposal to the co-guest-editors, Mark Turin <mark.turin at ubc.ca<mailto:mark.turin at ubc.ca>> and Christine Schreyer <christine.schreyer at ubc.ca<mailto:christine.schreyer at ubc.ca>>.

Timeline:

Proposal submission deadline:           May 1, 2023
Full paper hard deadline:                    August 15, 2023 for a December 2023 publication
(Volume 44, Issue 2)

Paper submissions that miss the August deadline will be considered, pending peer review, for inclusion in a forthcoming general issue of Dictionaries. In order to see this special issue into production in 2023, we have very little flexibility on the timeline. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to co-guest-editors:

--
Christine Schreyer, PhD  (she/her/hers)
Associate Professor of Anthropology

Respectfully acknowledging that I live and work in the unceded and ancestral territory of the Syilx and Splatsin peoples.

christine.schreyer at ubc.ca<mailto:christine.schreyer at ubc.ca>
http://www.christineschreyer.ca<http://www.christineschreyer.ca/>
Twitter: @C_Schreyer