[Linganth] Fiction Salons at the AAA -opportunity to lead a discussion

Ilana Gershon imgershon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 14:24:46 UTC 2023

The Fiction Salons at the recent AES/APLA/CAE conference were such a
success that APLA is going to sponsor more Fiction Salons at the AAA
meetings in Toronto.

We are calling for volunteers to lead discussions about a work of
fiction for which you might have some ethnographic expertise -- perhaps
you have done fieldwork in Sweden and would like to lead a discussion
about a Swedish murder mystery.  Perhaps you think all the time about
porous social orders, and would like to lead a discussion about the TV
adaptation of China Mieville's The City and The City.     The
discussions are free-form -- no prepared talks, we are looking for
people to lead a potentially wide-ranging discussion with other
anthropologists about what an anthropological imagination can reveal
about a work of fiction.

This will be a special event at the AAA meetings, and so does not use up
one of your two potential roles on AAA panels.

Please let Sahana Ghosh (sahana.ghosh at nus.edu
<mailto:sahana.ghosh at nus.edu.sg>) or Negar Razavi
(nrazavi at northwestern.edu) know if you would be interested in doing this
*by Friday, April 21st. *All we need is an expression of interest, and a
150 description of your take or questions about the book, film, graphic
novel, short story, or television show that we would circulate to
advertise your fiction salon.